Minimum page count for a writing sample?

historygeek

Hi everyone.

I'm writing a chapter of my thesis to use as a writing sample for my grad school applications. Most of the schools I'm applying to have a maximum of 20 pages, with the exception of UCLA, which has a maximum of 10 pages. Would submitting a 10-page writing sample to the rest of the schools I'm applying to reflect poorly on me as an applicant?

If a school wants a maximum of 20 pages, it's likely that their range is from 15-20 pages. Submitting 10 pages only might put you as a significant disadvantage as they want to see how your arguments delivered. I'd double check with each school to make sure what their requirements are; some of them have information that may have changed in recent years.

34 minutes ago, Warelin said:

If a school wants a maximum of 20 pages, it's likely that their range is from 15-20 pages. Submitting 10 pages only might put you as a significant disadvantage as they want to see how your arguments delivered. I'd double check with each school to make sure what their requirements are; some of them have information that may have changed in recent years.

Oh no! That’s what I was afraid of. Guess I’ll just have to write a condensed version and a non-condensed one. 

• 3 weeks later...