Rhet/comp with emphasis on ESL

Hi all. I'm in the middle of a MA TESL program, and I did my BA in English literature. I plan on applying to PHD programs in the Fall relating to second language studies, but recently I feel my interests have leaned toward composition pedagogy for L2 learners of English and multilingual writing practices. I've done some looking around at English and r/c departments that have professors with those interests, but there doesn't seem to be too many. I was wondering if there were any programs in Rhet/Comp that have professors with interests in these areas, or if a Rhet/Comp Phd would be suitable for someone of my interests. I'm also worried that I wouldn't be qualified for a phd in r/c, as I haven't really taken any courses related to r/c (I guess there wouldn't be much overlap with literary theory), though I have done a bit for reading and research for my thesis, which will be broadly related to how writers learn how to write in a new genre. I'm planning to take a course in composition theory next semester, and will be working in my universities writing center, so hopefully I can get more experience there and produce some writing samples in time for applications. If anyone can suggest any programs or advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Have you considered also looking into Education or Linguistics programs? I feel that both would be able to accommodate your interests quite comfortably. Have you googled which programs might have TESOL certificates? Finding those universities might help you determine some scholars working at schools which could be a good fit for you.

Yup, I've already narrowed down the list of programs in Education as well as Linguistics departments, I was also curious if there would be similar programs in Rhet/comp programs but I haven't been finding many. So far, I've seen a few professors that have interests in multilingual writing in these kinds of departments, though some seem to be more focused on English-dominant contexts and L1 users of English rather than L2 writers. Thanks for your suggestions!

48 minutes ago, forwen said:

Yup, I've already narrowed down the list of programs in Education as well as Linguistics departments, I was also curious if there would be similar programs in Rhet/comp programs but I haven't been finding many. So far, I've seen a few professors that have interests in multilingual writing in these kinds of departments, though some seem to be more focused on English-dominant contexts and L1 users of English rather than L2 writers. Thanks for your suggestions!

That's good! For some odd reason and for what it's worth, I've always had L2 associated with Arizona State University and Illinois State University.

https://english.clas.asu.edu/isearch-expertise/second-language-writing
https://english.illinoisstate.edu/graduate/phd_engStudies.aspx

You should look into the University of Washington's "Language and Rhetoric" program, which might be a good fit because of its emphasis on linguistics as well as rhet/comp. They have a MATESOL program and a number of those faculty also teach PhD level courses. Plus, Bawarshi (genre scholar extraordinaire) is there, which aligns with your thesis project well. 

And yes, I think a Rhet/Comp PhD is definitely suitable for someone with your interests! There is a lot of demand for Rhet/Comp scholars with TESOL training and expertise in working with multilingual writers right now.

You're most likely doing so already. But, please look into funding for whatever schools you're looking at. For every school that is unfunded in an area, there is almost always a funded one. Considering the type of environment you want to be in is another important factor to consider. Some people do well in a rural setting; others thrive in the city. Temperatures could also play an important factor. I think being happy is an important aspect to ensuring you finish with your best possible work no matter where you up deciding to apply. :)