Writing Samples with Images

Photomontage

Hello all,

I am working on an abridged version of my final chapter of my thesis to use as my writing sample for PhD and MA programs in the fall. I am getting stressed by the different length requirements because I will have to finalize three different versions (10 pages, 20 pages, and 25-30 pages). I wanted to ask past applicants how they went about preparing their writing samples. I am in the process of reaching out and introducing myself to my POIs, so should I ask them more about the requirements? My subject is the history of photography and my thesis topic is on the body photography of Wilhelm von Gloeden, so I use a lot of images throughout my paper. I am wondering if I should include the images after the text, like I normally do, or if I should incorporate the images throughout the text. Also, how strict are programs about page length? Stanford said 20 pages maximum, but will I be penalized if I include let's say 18 written pages and 5 pages of reference images? 

In an application world where committees are sometimes going through hundreds of apps, I'd suggest following the instructions as closely as possible. Not following instructions can sometimes be reason enough to get thrown out of the running. If Stanford said 20 pages max, I would cap it at 20 max. Can you condense your images to 2 pages and/or remove some for the sake of the sample?

With that being said, I had my best luck in using dumb loopholes to get around the word count (11 pt font vs. 12, decreasing line spacing by a very small increment, etc. My professor actually suggested them to me when I ran into the same problem. Another differing factor is using footnotes vs. endnotes, and whether or not you will include a bib or just use full citations in your footnotes/endnotes. My page difference was actually three pages between the two!)

Some apps won't specify images and others will ask for NO images. I added my images at the end, which I could choose to use or not to use depending on length. I went with a happy-medium 15 or so pages of text and then adjusted as necessary for each program. That worked out well for me over 8 applications.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:20 AM, ReichenbachFalls said:

In an application world where committees are sometimes going through hundreds of apps, I'd suggest following the instructions as closely as possible. Not following instructions can sometimes be reason enough to get thrown out of the running. If Stanford said 20 pages max, I would cap it at 20 max. Can you condense your images to 2 pages and/or remove some for the sake of the sample?

With that being said, I had my best luck in using dumb loopholes to get around the word count (11 pt font vs. 12, decreasing line spacing by a very small increment, etc. My professor actually suggested them to me when I ran into the same problem. Another differing factor is using footnotes vs. endnotes, and whether or not you will include a bib or just use full citations in your footnotes/endnotes. My page difference was actually three pages between the two!)

Some apps won't specify images and others will ask for NO images. I added my images at the end, which I could choose to use or not to use depending on length. I went with a happy-medium 15 or so pages of text and then adjusted as necessary for each program. That worked out well for me over 8 applications.

I could definitely cut down my images to two a page, and thanks for all the good advice. The Microsoft tricks will come in hand while editing for sure too. I am in contact with a few POIs so I will ask if I need to actually include an attach bibliography, or if full footnotes will suffice. I didn't think about the bibliography, so that will also save me a few pages. 

Only 1 out of the 8 schools I am applying to does not want any images (Williams). Most are about 20-25 pages in length, but one school only wants a sample 8-10 pages including the images and a bibliography (CCNY). I think that draft will be the most challenging. 

Thanks again and DM me if you have any other advice for a future grad school applicant!

6 minutes ago, Photomontage said:

I could definitely cut down my images to two a page, and thanks for all the good advice. The Microsoft tricks will come in hand while editing for sure too. I am in contact with a few POIs so I will ask if I need to actually include an attach bibliography, or if full footnotes will suffice. I didn't think about the bibliography, so that will also save me a few pages. 

I'd be extremely cautious about trying to manipulate page counts via tricks. Graduate School requires you to be able to edit and edit well. Professors have known about these tricks for more than a decade now. They might be willing to forgive it once; but they might also throw out your application for trying to get around the rules. 

21 hours ago, Warelin said:

I'd be extremely cautious about trying to manipulate page counts via tricks. Graduate School requires you to be able to edit and edit well. Professors have known about these tricks for more than a decade now. They might be willing to forgive it once; but they might also throw out your application for trying to get around the rules. 

You're so right! I would never do anything ludicrous and my thesis advisor wants to review my sample before I submit. He would highlight any red flags for sure, but I will avoid any "tricks" like the plague. Thanks for the warning.