What information can Grad Schools request from Undergraduate Schools

shoestring

Question

Hey all, first post here. I got into some legal trouble awhile back (DUI first offense). It was a stupid mistake and as a result I quit drinking. I have never been in trouble before and have nothing else on my record. However, since it was during the summer and away from school my undergraduate institution never found out. Based on my school's policies, I am not required to disclose it to the dean of students because it is only a misdemeanor and not a felony, as well as a non-violent crime. On pretty much all Grad School apps there is a section about criminal history where you must disclose any prior incidents. My question is, can Grad Schools request information from my undergraduate institution about criminal history? I'm worried if I apply and they request information, that my undergraduate school will find out and I will get suspended for a semester. I don't know if I am overthinking things or if this is something they are even allowed to do because of information privacy policies. I want to apply to Grad Schools now as I am a rising senior, but don't know if I should wait to apply until after I have earned my degree. Thanks!

1 answer to this question