Ford Fellowship 2010

dalzir

I am an undergrad and this is my first time applying for the ford. Would some please explain this to me. If someone received this fellowship, the foundation will give you a $20k stipend and and the university you attend 2k, right? So how do you pay for the rest of your tuition? How does this work! Do you have to pay it out of your $20k stipend? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an undergrad and this is my first time applying for the ford. Would some please explain this to me. If someone received this fellowship, the foundation will give you a $20k stipend and and the university you attend 2k, right? So how do you pay for the rest of your tuition? How does this work! Do you have to pay it out of your $20k stipend? Thanks in advance.

Hi Despair,

Generally speaking, the fellowship pays the university 2,000 dollars towards tuition with the understanding that the university waives the remainder of your tuition/fees. Most universities will, in fact, do that. (NSF fellowships give 10,000 towards tuition/fees, and universities waive the rest.) In regards to the stipend... where I'm going, it costs a LOT more to live there than 18,000 a year, so my program will supplement that stipend so that it's the same as it would be if I were using the university's stipend. Of course, it all depends on your financial package to begin with. Does that answer your question?

Yes! It does, thank you!

Hi Despair,

Generally speaking, the fellowship pays the university 2,000 dollars towards tuition with the understanding that the university waives the remainder of your tuition/fees. Most universities will, in fact, do that. (NSF fellowships give 10,000 towards tuition/fees, and universities waive the rest.) In regards to the stipend... where I'm going, it costs a LOT more to live there than 18,000 a year, so my program will supplement that stipend so that it's the same as it would be if I were using the university's stipend. Of course, it all depends on your financial package to begin with. Does that answer your question?

Hi, I just noticed something. Did you mean it costs more than $20k to live? If you meant $18k, does this mean that the $2k that goes to the school comes out of the total award? Sorry, the only reason I ask is because I thought the award to the institution and the award to the student were separate.

Hi Despair,

Hi, I just noticed something. Did you mean it costs more than $20k to live? If you meant $18k, does this mean that the $2k that goes to the school comes out of the total award? Sorry, the only reason I ask is because I thought the award to the institution and the award to the student were separate.

You're right the stipend and institution award are separate ($20,000 and $2,000)

Yes, sorry, I was incorrectly remembering the stipend amount. The stipend and the "award in lieu of fees and tuition" are separate. So 20k to you, 2k to school, and generally the school waives the remainder of your tuition/fees. If you need more than 20k to survive on (for housing, food, etc), which is likely in a big city, you either have to work that out with your school or get loans or whatever.

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification!

Yes, sorry, I was incorrectly remembering the stipend amount. The stipend and the "award in lieu of fees and tuition" are separate. So 20k to you, 2k to school, and generally the school waives the remainder of your tuition/fees. If you need more than 20k to survive on (for housing, food, etc), which is likely in a big city, you either have to work that out with your school or get loans or whatever.

I just called! This is what the lady said: "Okay, notifications are scheduled to go out on Friday [April 9], but if they don't for some reason, then early next week."

Good luck everyone!

Just curious ... did she mention if emails would be sent out (or just letters)

Thanks for the info!

Best of luck to you, too!

Just curious ... did she mention if emails would be sent out (or just letters)

Thanks for the info!

Best of luck to you, too!

Sorry, I didn't ask... I just asked when results would come out. I'm assuming it would be done through e-mail but who knows? This year NSF refused to send anything other than an e-mail. I even asked them to send me a hard copy letter so that I had a document that shows proof of income, and they refused. So hopefully, these folks will also be using e-mail!

You should call if we don't hear anything in a few hours-- just ask. They were very nice when I talked to them a few days ago.

... (waiting) ... mellow.gif ... huh.gif ...unsure.gif

Gosh- I know the feeling. I've been hitting the refresh button on my e-mail every 2 minutes. And when the fed ex lady showed up at my door I nearly fainted......only my replacement phone though :(

Edited by AMC

Gosh- I know the feeling. I've been hitting the refresh button on my e-mail every 2 minutes. And when the fed ex lady showed up at my door I nearly fainted......only my replacement phone though :(

And every time I see in my inbox that a couple of GradCafe posts have occurred, I think, "Now is the moment I find out that others are getting emails that say they have an award...and I don't have one of those emails!"

And every time I see in my inbox that a couple of GradCafe posts have occurred, I think, "Now is the moment I find out that others are getting emails that say they have an award...and I don't have one of those emails!"

Jeez, someone just call! I did it last time, so now it's your turn! :P

Last year, letters went out by mail. I'm not sure if they've fancified to email for this year but someone who actually applied (ie, not me) should call and find out.

Actually, the majority of winners last year heard first by email. A friend of mine who won it was notified first by email and the majority of the people who won last year reported that they too heard by email on last year's gradcafe thread.

But that doesn't mean they'll stick to that.