Ford Fellowship 2010

dalzir

Didn't see a topic for Ford yet so I thought I'd start one in order to share my anxiety with others :blink: I received honor mention/alternate status last year and I'm hoping this time around will be better especially since it's my last chance. Last year's notification was around April 9th, so it seems that it will be a few weeks before we know!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to apply while you're an undergrad. If you get it that's fantastic, if you don't then you still have two more opportunities to apply. My first year I didn't get anything but I learned a lot for the following year about how to write essays, get good letters of recommendation, etc.

I'm glad to see this forum! I have been anxious to hear from Ford for a few weeks now, although I know I have at least 3 more weeks to wait. This is my first time applying (I apply for the predoctoral). I'm trying to be optimistic but realistic about my chances at the same time. Best of luck to everyone :)

I am! Any idea when awards will be announced?

Last year, those who won awards were notified by email on April 10th, I believe, and those who did not receive fellowships received a regular letter in the mail. I would think they will continue with this method which was used for the first time last year...but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Let the two week countdown begin! Based on the previous years results we should definitely begin hearing by the 9th! Fingers crossed

Yes, it is such a big deal to get one of these, both professionally and financially. I don't even dare to hope...but I find myself doing so anyway!

What year are others who applied for the predoctoral award? I'm in my second year. Last year I called the Ford office and they said that the award was really intended for students starting a Ph D program in the fall. I'm not sure how reliable that information was though.

What year are others who applied for the predoctoral award? I'm in my second year. Last year I called the Ford office and they said that the award was really intended for students starting a Ph D program in the fall. I'm not sure how reliable that information was though.

I'm in my second year as well. A woman in my department applied last year in her second year and won the award, so it is definitely not only for people who are just starting their programs.

I'm in my second year as well. A woman in my department applied last year in her second year and won the award, so it is definitely not only for people who are just starting their programs.

Great, then I can keep my hopes up :D

I agree. I know several people who have been awarded the Ford in their second year and a few who have even received it in their 3rd year. So no need to worry dalzir I'm sure your year will not count against you.

btw, I'm a first year.

I agree. I know several people who have been awarded the Ford in their second year and a few who have even received it in their 3rd year. So no need to worry dalzir I'm sure your year will not count against you.

btw, I'm a first year.

When you say they received it in their 3rd year, do you mean that the following Fall they were beginning their 4th year? or their 3rd year? I ask because I thought that one of the requirements for the Ford is that the one of the years be used to complete coursework.

When you say they received it in their 3rd year, do you mean that the following Fall they were beginning their 4th year? or their 3rd year? I ask because I thought that one of the requirements for the Ford is that the one of the years be used to complete coursework.

They were in their 2nd year when awarded and entering their 3rd year when the award began. The coursework requirement is loose. As long as you can prove that you intend to complete a full year worth of coursework (it does not have to required coursework), that it is needed for your project and have your advisor sign off on it you're fine. I think Ford is aware that although people may have been in grade school for more than one or two years, some people take longer to come to a point of developing a project and progressing to ABD status.

That's good news. And that goes to show you that you shouldn't believe everything that the Ford people say. Last year, the person I talked to made it seem like I had no chance of getting an award based on my status as a 1st year student. The only reason I applied was because my mentor encouraged me and because it is basically the same format as NSF GRFP so it doesn't require much effort to reformat for Ford.

My adviser- who was also a Ford Fellow in Grad school -said people are more successful candidates after 1 year of Grad School because they have the language downpat and they have teaching experiences that the Fellows like to hear about. At least that's is theory. I'm waiting nervously as well!

Also- they seem to not have a unilateral system of notification. Some found out via e-mail but 2 people in my school received it last year- one found out via Fed Ex with no prior e-mail and one got an e-mail with no Fed ex on April 15th.

Anyhoo- fingers crossed for us all!!

Yeah, one of my friends is a Ford fellow and she got the fellowship for her 2nd year, after applying during her first year of grad school.

I'm waiting (on both Ford and NSF) and I'm in my second year, so fingers crossed - this is my last opportunity to apply for both of them, since I'm finishing up coursework in the fall.

I'm waiting (on both Ford and NSF) and I'm in my second year, so fingers crossed - this is my last opportunity to apply for both of them, since I'm finishing up coursework in the fall.

So, if you get the Ford will you be taking extra classes in Spring '11?

Did they say when we should expect the announcement? Has anyone called them? I got an NSF but am still curious about my Ford app.

I haven't been brave enough to call. Typically notification go out around April 9th and usually correspond with the NSF notification release.

Congrats on the NSF!

I haven't been brave enough to call. Typically notification go out around April 9th and usually correspond with the NSF notification release.

Congrats on the NSF!

I just called! This is what the lady said: "Okay, notifications are scheduled to go out on Friday [April 9], but if they don't for some reason, then early next week."

Good luck everyone!

I just called! This is what the lady said: "Okay, notifications are scheduled to go out on Friday [April 9], but if they don't for some reason, then early next week."

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for being brave and calling! Best of luck to everyone!