Universities that offer acceptance to their MA program after rejection from their doctoral program?

jriveracal

What are some universities that offer conciliatory admissions to MA programs if you don't make the cut for their Ph.D. program?

For example, I've read on this site that some have been offered admission to the University of Chicago's MA program in Sociology after being rejected from their Ph.D. program.

Any of you happen to know other programs that do this?

Yes, it's only August and I'm already beginning to lose hope lol.

From Chicago's Psychology  Program: The Department of Psychology does not have a terminal Masters degree program.  However, the Division of the Social Sciences offers two Masters degrees that may be of interest to prospective psychology students. In lieu of an MA in Psychology offered by the Department, the Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS) allows for a concentration in psychology. The MA in Computational Social Science provides the ability to tailor your coursework to your academic or professional interest. Students interested in psychology, for example, may take 3 courses in mathematical and statistical methods for neuroscience.

MAPPS is similar to MAPH at Chicago. The main issue is that both are only a year-long which means you'll need to either wait an additional year to apply for programs or apply for programs during your first semester. The second issue is that MAPPS and MAPH are rarely fund funded. Most people in the program receive scholarships valued at around half the cost. But that still leaves you with 25k-35k in debt plus living expenses.

If you can afford the costs and can focus yourself within a year, I think Chicago is a great school and I'm sure you'll learn a lot from its rigorous academics.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a money-making scam. It seems to be a rising trend. You're better off applying again next year to the Ph.D. program or going someplace where you got funding even if it's not your first choice.