First Time Adjuncting

PsyDuck90

Hello all, I did a search and couldn't find anything. I am about to start a doctoral program and because I have an MA already, they are having me adjunct instead of TA. I will be teaching an undergrad class all by my lonesome. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and has any advice for a 1st time professor!

A few things.

- Figure out who is the best teacher of your class in your department, and go sit in on some of his/her classes

- Build relationships with students, but keep in mind all the various laws (FERPA, sexual harassment, etc.) that are relevant.

- Your school may have a "be a better teacher" certificate or something along those lines.  Do that.

- Plan for your technology not working.  If you're going to show a powerpoint, what will you do when it won't work?  Consider these things and have a backup plan

- Activities!  Have a variety of activities to help people who learn in different ways learn the material.

- Carry spare chalk or marker board pens with you - you can't be guaranteed that the classroom will have them, and they'll be working.

- Remember that your students don't know it's your first time.  Act confident, and they won't know the difference.