Where to apply?

hk_history64

Hi,

I am looking for good graduate programs in medieval studies. I  study both social and political history, concentrating on medieval marriage and England's fifteenth-century conflict, the Wars of the Roses. So far, I have been unable to find a professor in the U.S who seems to specialize in a similar topic. Any recommendations?

37 minutes ago, hk_history64 said:

Any recommendations?

I would recommend two things:

First, that you spend some time thinking through why very few faculty members focus on this particular topic and the impact of that fact on your job prospects at the other end of your degree.

Second, that you broaden your horizons; the scholars who study the intersection of sexuality and power, in Insular contexts and elsewhere, are manifold.

• 2 weeks later...

I study something as equally esoteric, and I'd like to comment that if you do manage to find a location to study your interests, you might consider career paths outside of the traditional, academic. Indeed, it might be the wisest course of action.

I'm planning to work in libraries. No department would ever want someone who specializes in what I do. :) Well, it's highly unlikely, at least. Job prospects are generally based on departmental needs which are in turn based on archetypal historians.