Planning My Grad School Applications. Advice?

So I recently decided that I want to become an SLP.  I'm a few years removed from undergrad where I majored in English.  My overall GPA was 3.25 with my major GPA being 3.5.  I took a Kaplan practice GRE today and my results were: Q - 144, V - 155.  I realize these scores and GPA are not super competitive but I am hopeful that I can get into some programs.

Just enrolled in Stats and Bio at my local community college.  Also applying to Kean's Pre-Professional program where you take around 7 CSD courses.  I am hoping that I can crush these classes, raise my GPA and develop relationships with faculty to get some good LORs. Also looking to volunteer at a Children's hospital in the fall.

I have brief work experience in tutoring, serving, security, firefighting and more.

I would like to go somewhere in New Jersey but I'm unsure if I'll be competitive.  Do you guys have any advice on where to apply or what I can do to improve my profile?

8 hours ago, FutureAuD03 said:

When are you looking to apply? Because by the sound of you taking classes, I would assume next fall?

Yeah I think that would make the most sense. Unless there is a program that would include pre-requisites. But even so I think it makes the most sense to just strengthen my resume over the next year to increase my chances. 

Im excited to start my SLP journey but have to admit it’s a bit overwhelming and complex!

I think the utmost important for you is to get all As in the 7 CSD classes you're about to take if you can. If you find yourself really struggling with those classes you might want to rethink if SLP is right for you, because these undergrad level classes are barely challenging compare to what you would encounter in grad school. As a CSD major person that minored in both English and Linguistics, I can tell you that you will find CSD classes a LOT more challenging than English classes. Honestly if you crush your CSD courses your undergrad GPA won't matter that much to the admission committee since you are from out of field. Do your research and apply to more open minded schools that value diversity so your English background might becomes an advantage for you.

Each school has their own set of pre-reqs. They all post these pre-reqs on their websites so you should definitely check that out to see if you need to take any other classes. It might be more beneficial for you to apply to a post bach program rather than a pre-professional program. You also need at least 25 observation hours from an ASHA accredited facility. 

You also need a competitive GRE score in order to compensate your GPA. And by competitive I mean AT LEAST around the 70th percentile range. I think 70th percentile is 156 for verbal and 159 for quant. It never hurts to just aim for a 320 in total.

Honestly the cold hard truth is that around 60-70% of CSD undergraduate students don't get into graduate school, and undergraduate programs don't tell you that because they want you to enroll and pay tuition. Graduate schools are so overflown with applications each year, and probably 30% of all applicant each year have 4.0 GPAs, and a lot of them still get denied. So be mentally prepared for a rocky road ahead it is not going to be all fun and games. Sorry I sound so pessimistic but the truth has to be told. Good luck!! 

Edited by AliceWang

17 hours ago, AliceWang said:

I think the utmost important for you is to get all As in the 7 CSD classes you're about to take if you can. If you find yourself really struggling with those classes you might want to rethink if SLP is right for you, because these undergrad level classes are barely challenging compare to what you would encounter in grad school. As a CSD major person that minored in both English and Linguistics, I can tell you that you will find CSD classes a LOT more challenging than English classes. Honestly if you crush your CSD courses your undergrad GPA won't matter that much to the admission committee since you are from out of field. Do your research and apply to more open minded schools that value diversity so your English background might becomes an advantage for you.

Each school has their own set of pre-reqs. They all post these pre-reqs on their websites so you should definitely check that out to see if you need to take any other classes. It might be more beneficial for you to apply to a post bach program rather than a pre-professional program. You also need at least 25 observation hours from an ASHA accredited facility. 

You also need a competitive GRE score in order to compensate your GPA. And by competitive I mean AT LEAST around the 70th percentile range. I think 70th percentile is 156 for verbal and 159 for quant. It never hurts to just aim for a 320 in total.

Honestly the cold hard truth is that around 60-70% of CSD undergraduate students don't get into graduate school, and undergraduate programs don't tell you that because they want you to enroll and pay tuition. Graduate schools are so overflown with applications each year, and probably 30% of all applicant each year have 4.0 GPAs, and a lot of them still get denied. So be mentally prepared for a rocky road ahead it is not going to be all fun and games. Sorry I sound so pessimistic but the truth has to be told. Good luck!! 

Alice, thanks so much for the in-depth and honest response. I agree that crushing my classes right now is the top priority.  I was never focused during college but I'm a few years wiser now and hardened by some rough professional experiences. So I know I'm going to do way better now.  Also, 320 for the GRE sounds like a great number to set my eyes on so thanks for the direction! 159 Quant is going to be really challenging for me but I'm gonna try my best.  Thanks again for thoughtfulness.