Hi everyone! 

Did anyone submit copies of a general letter of intent to professors, supervisors, etc so it would be easier for them to tailor their letter to mention your strengths, etc? And say good things about you apart from academics? Is sending recommenders a general letter of intent a good idea?

I already have a list of the prompts of all the programs I’m applying to. 

yes it absolutely is. In fact most professors would want or even ask you to submit a copy of your personal statement so they have something to reference and tailor their rec letters to, since each professor probably writes dozens of rec letters each year, it is hard for them to recall what's special about you. It would help your rec letters tremendously if they could read your personal statement first.

Wow, I never even thought about doing that- it is a good idea! What I did do (My LORs were all from online profs) is email them a description of my interests and goals and send them a couple writing samples from their courses. If you don't have your personal statement ready I think this method also works. 

My advisor from my undergrad program suggested making a packet of information that included your resume, letter of intent, transcripts, list of institutions you are applying to, due dates for applications, where they need to send the letters of rec, etc. That way they have all the information they would need and their letters can match the rest of your application. I found that incredibly helpful and the individuals who wrote my LORs definitely appreciated it.