Switching PhD

Marlene5

Hey

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I don't know where to write. 

I already began a PhD without a Master's degree, doing them both at the same time. I'm wondering about upgrading my PhD program. Is this a good idea? I mean, my school is fine, it's just unknown. The scientific community is a bit small too. But it's one of the best universities in my home country. I think that if I transferred I would have to begin all over again. There are also a lot of other points where things can go wrong. My supervisor is a great person and is really clever, which is a lot of luck that I had. One thing that makes me want to move somewhere else is the community or rather lack thereof. The other, maybe better career prospects and prestige and connections. But I'm not sure if this pays off for me now as I'm in the middle of the PhD. Maybe there is another way to get that prestige and connections? But then, it's still a couple of years until I graduate and I think I could enjoy this time better too. 

1 hour ago, Marlene5 said:

[...] better career prospects and prestige and connections.[...]

Do research on the educational experiences of people who have the kinds of jobs you want to have.

Where did they go to school? Did a sufficient number of them go to where you are now or to comparable programs? 

If the answer to the second question is "no," more often than not, you may be facing an uphill battle getting a job if you stay where you are now.

• 2 weeks later...

What Sigaba said.

Also, I think it depends on how far along you are. You said you're in the middle. If you're like in year 3-4 or above - like, if you've finished your coursework and are preparing for qualifying exams - I'd definitely stay put. Pretty much any other PhD program would require you to redo most of your coursework. I'd focus more on finding ways to boost your prestige post-graduate school, like doing a postdoc at a well-known place under a well-known advisor.