Anyone dealing with a move AFTER starting classes?

writingmachine

A month ago I finally found an apartment for a decent price in the area and jumped on it. The only downside is that the move in date is in three weeks and I start classes and my grad assistant work on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I'm still living with my parents right now, but finding the time to pack has been stressful. I ended my summer job last week, so I finally had time to breathe and focus on packing. Being so crunched for time I've resorted to putting everything into bins and zip-lock vacuum bags. I wish I had time to purge, but I'm going to have to take care of that after the move. I've made sure I'm free all weekend of the move, but I'm afraid I'll have a lot of reading to catch up on. I did this to myself unfortunately, but I didn't realize I'd be this stressed!

I had this happen to me when I was a master's student.  I found a roommate via Craigslist, moved in at the beginning of August, and moved out at the end of the month because I just could not see living with this person for a year for all sorts of reasons.  I ended up on a friend's couch at the start of my first semester - a good 1.5-2 hr commute away from my university.  I finally found a new apartment and roommate after searching for a bit and moved to my new place at the end of September (about 3-4 weeks into the semester).

The two moves and searching for housing was a huge time suck on top of starting grad school and getting to know a new city.  It definitely was not fun, but I made it work because I had to.  The good news is if you have to move during the semester - moving at the beginning is better because there tends to be less assignments due in class.  For the reading - I suggest skimming them - or- reading enough of the articles so you can talk intelligently about it in class for the week of the move/week after the move.  Also once you move, you can take as much time as you need to get yourself unpacked and situated.

This may be a silly question, but how far away is your parents home from your new apartment? If it is not exceptionally far, you can make sure to just move the essentials (furniture, clothes, specific books) and then sift through the rest of the things when on break or something. It appears that you will be living with them while commuting for the 1st few weeks, correct?