Interdisciplinary Cultural Studies Programs?

What are some good interdisciplinary PhD programs that will let you study English/Cultural Studies along with other disciplines such as history or political science?

I did my undergrad AND master's in English/cultural studies, and while I'm still interested in literature and film, over the years I've been more and more drawn to the political and economic history behind these cultural texts. I want to find a PhD program that will let me work on cultural studies as well as other disciplines such as economics, history, geography or urban studies. People have suggested I look at American Studies programs as well as the History of Consciousness at Stanford, but does anyone here have any other suggestions for interdisciplinary PhD programs that would allow me to do this? 

U Minnesota Critical Studies in Discourse and Society (CSDS) would be a great program to add to your list! It is housed in the Department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature, has Critical Theory at the core of its curriculum, has a heavy media studies component, and is affiliated with a few faculty who are doing very interesting work in critical geography. It sounds like the perfect mix for what you've shared of your interests.

Just a note on History of Consciousness--they're at UC Santa Cruz, not Stanford. The Stanford program in the universe you're talking about is Modern Thought and Literature--I'm headed there in a few weeks! Both are fantastic interdisciplinary programs, and obviously I am biased toward Stanford, but your blurb really resonated with a lot of things I picked up on when I visited UMN for Comp Lit (housed in the same department as CSDS, and with the same requirements as it--just different affiliated faculty). Please feel free to message me if you have any questions on any of these programs or apps to interdisciplinary programs in general!

On 8/22/2018 at 5:03 PM, Minerva1917 said:

What are some good interdisciplinary PhD programs that will let you study English/Cultural Studies along with other disciplines such as history or political science?

I did my undergrad AND master's in English/cultural studies, and while I'm still interested in literature and film, over the years I've been more and more drawn to the political and economic history behind these cultural texts. I want to find a PhD program that will let me work on cultural studies as well as other disciplines such as economics, history, geography or urban studies. People have suggested I look at American Studies programs as well as the History of Consciousness at Stanford, but does anyone here have any other suggestions for interdisciplinary PhD programs that would allow me to do this? 

The University of Southern California. There are at least two professors in the department of history who are right in your wheel house, but you'll want to bring your A game every day. Or so I've heard.

UC Irvine I would read carefully the description of the culture and theory program as well as a careful look at the faculty roster. UCI stakes out a firm position in the ongoing power of culture debate. Will you have enough room to do what you want?

The University of Texas at Austin.