Working

xcrazydave

I'd like to know info on this too. I am currently working in my intended field and have gotten accepted to GWU with no funding. The good news is that none of their classes start until after 5 so working, via VPN, certainly looks favorable. But I don't know when I'd get my class work done :?:

• 1 month later...

I worked full-time while getting my first masters (going to school full time), and it was doable. You need to have good time management skills and you need to be willing to give up a fair amount of socializing, but if its worth it to you, you'll do it and be fine.

that said, I don't know how it would be in a PhD program. I'm going back in the fall to start a PhD in a field related to my first masters, but not in that field (so no skipping coursework or anything--itll still be the full 5-7+ years), and the first year in this new program is apparently very rigorous (you get the ma after the first year), so I dont think I'll be working this time around. I think it depends on the program and you're willingness to make some sacrifices.

I'd like to know info on this too. I am currently working in my intended field and have gotten accepted to GWU with no funding. The good news is that none of their classes start until after 5 so working, via VPN, certainly looks favorable. But I don't know when I'd get my class work done :?:

I worked full time while a grad student at the Elliott School, as did most other people in my class. You should be fine. It might take an extra summer of classes if you aren't taking 10 hours per semester, but in the scheme of things that is not that bad. Just remember that when you sit down and work out your schedule, make sure that your reading/writing time has no interruptions, make it like a second job.