Critical Language Scholarship Summer 2019 Applicants

woshimeiguoren

It's good to know Arabic has 105 spots available considering there is a high demand for the language. I didn't realize how few participant spots there were for other languages. Thanks for sharing this. Anyone else on here applying for Arabic?

Edited by APasq

I'm trying to stay focused on finals/school/work/literally anything else to keep my mind off of CLS. We still most likely have at least a month until we get semi-finalist notifications so I'm trying to not stress myself about it until at least January LOL. I also don't want to get my hopes up too high just in case things don't end up working out.

One thing I just realized, but I was kind of confused on saying my level of proficiency on the application. I forgot how it was worded, but I said my current level of Japanese is likely intermediate, since it is on the border of intermediate and advanced. Meaning I would want to go for advanced. Does difficulty affect chances of getting chosen?

I also read that readers can mark down if they think you're above or below a certain level, which would probably just change the site I assume.

I'm in a similar situation, as I put down what I got on my last OPI score (advanced beginning) with American Councils but am now realizing I'm more low to mid intermediate.

Edited by shakuton

I put down advanced because I'm certainly advanced in terms of comprehension and writing, my speaking is just... lacking due to 95% of my learning being self study. I hope that if I end up receiving the scholarship the OPI doesn't set me back... would hate to waste this experience not learning anything new.

I am in the middle of applying to PhD programs so the CLS application was actually relaxing if you can believe it. I think I am so nervous at this point I am just going through the motions and trying to get everything submitted. I also applied for CLS last year and didn't receive it so I am well acquainted with rejection haha

23 hours ago, cfebh said:

I put down advanced because I'm certainly advanced in terms of comprehension and writing, my speaking is just... lacking due to 95% of my learning being self study. I hope that if I end up receiving the scholarship the OPI doesn't set me back... would hate to waste this experience not learning anything new.

I can really relate to this! When I went on NSLI-Y through the State Department, I was intermediate level writing and comprehension wise, but really lacked in speaking because of self-studying. I got put into the beginning level class on the Seoul program because they emphasized speaking so much on program for placement tests. 

What I liked about these State Department programs was they really pushed you in speaking (I'm referring to NSLIY here, but my Resident Director was a CLS Korean alum and she told me CLS was quite similar but did this better) specifically. Everything we did in class (we studied at Ewha w/ a State Department guided curriculum) incorporated vocab and grammar that might've been familiar before, but we mainly had to make presentations, roleplays, and skits that had to be memorized and verbally articulated well. They also give you language partners on most programs.  So I think the scholarship would push any level, especially with the immersion factor included. 

Hey all, I know we're still about a month away from any information regarding semi-finalists but I was curious if anyone who had previously applied knows the process for notifications. Will the department email/call you or is there a status checker I should be checking on the CLS application site? Any information is helpful! I'm applying for Intermediate Arabic - good luck to everyone! 

5 hours ago, Rp3669 said:

Hey all, I know we're still about a month away from any information regarding semi-finalists but I was curious if anyone who had previously applied knows the process for notifications. Will the department email/call you or is there a status checker I should be checking on the CLS application site? Any information is helpful! I'm applying for Intermediate Arabic - good luck to everyone! 

I haven't applied before but, based off other forums for previous years, you're sent an email!

On 12/14/2018 at 4:48 PM, Rp3669 said:

I applied last year for intermediate Arabic. They send you an email like dnpsel mentioned. I could totally be wrong about this, but they may send out notifications based on language. For example, all people applying for Korean should hear back at the same time. Again, I could be totally wrong, but I believe from the responses on grad cafe last year that is how they notified people. Who knows if that is actually how they did it or it was just a coincidence. 

13 hours ago, cfebh said:

We're looking at less than a month now! How is everyone feeling!=?

A little nervous. The fact it doesn’t feel like Christmas time to me isn’t helping either, haha

Hey guys! I saw this thread when I was searching the CLS timeline. I am so happy you all are just as eager as I am to hear about this opportunity. I wish the best of luck to you all. I applied for the advanced beginner/intermediate Arabic. So excited!!!

Happy new year everyone! Looks like we're just a bit over two weeks away... I'll be ok if I get rejected, because I got Middlebury Korean (incidentally, I'll hear about the financial aid for that this month, too), but I still can't help feeling antsy. 

On 12/30/2018 at 3:13 PM, sowon said:

Happy new year everyone! Looks like we're just a bit over two weeks away... I'll be ok if I get rejected, because I got Middlebury Korean (incidentally, I'll hear about the financial aid for that this month, too), but I still can't help feeling antsy. 

I did Middlebury this past summer for Arabic and it was a great experience. It is definitely an intensive program but it gets the job done. Plus Korean and Arabic students are placed in California rather than Vermont so that was awesome.

Hello and Happy New Year!

Just spoke with my adviser and she mentioned that CLS applicants should be hearing back about whether or not they passed the first round sometime this month...for the Boren last year someone on here had found a timetable/compilation of dates that applicants had heard back in years past. Does anyone have access to anything like that?

Applying for Beginner Korean here, no formal Korean experience. All the best everyone!

7 hours ago, GoCParis said:

Hello and Happy New Year!

Just spoke with my adviser and she mentioned that CLS applicants should be hearing back about whether or not they passed the first round sometime this month...for the Boren last year someone on here had found a timetable/compilation of dates that applicants had heard back in years past. Does anyone have access to anything like that?

Applying for Beginner Korean here, no formal Korean experience. All the best everyone!

Ask and you shall receive. I went through and compiled the notification dates from previous years’ gradecafe threads.

2018: Jan. 16
2017: Jan. 18
2016: Jan. 28 (but this one was delayed due to weather)
2015: Jan. 13
2014: Jan. 16
2013: Jan. 10
2012: Jan. 07
2011: Jan. 10

Looks like we have anywhere from 5 to 16 days before we hear back about the first round.

22 hours ago, Relly said:

Ask and you shall receive. I went through and compiled the notification dates from previous years’ gradecafe threads.

2018: Jan. 16
2017: Jan. 18
2016: Jan. 28 (but this one was delayed due to weather)
2015: Jan. 13
2014: Jan. 16
2013: Jan. 10
2012: Jan. 07
2011: Jan. 10

Looks like we have anywhere from 5 to 16 days before we hear back about the first round.

Wow, thanks! Best of luck to you!

On 12/22/2018 at 11:30 PM, cfebh said:

We're looking at less than a month now! How is everyone feeling!=?

Stressed out, but way better than about a week ago. Now I am checking "logistics" in all the institutions that I applied to, like housing for graduate students and living expenses in the different places. There is a significant difference among programs! One should not be worrying about how to pay basic bills in the middle of demanding graduate programs; it will affect the quality of one's work and one's health as well. Two of the places I applied to, and probably at the top of my list academically, have decent housing options. They have just gained extra points in the game. Why is it that some universities do not have graduate housing on campus or nearby, yet they state that they are proud of the quality of their programs and their commitment to graduate stuides? They have off-campus "services" instead. And the rents in some places are as bad as Boston's or San Francisco! oh, but yeah... I am less stressed out now... ?