Critical Language Scholarship Summer 2019 Applicants

woshimeiguoren

Hi everyone! Made an account to join the conversation. How is everyone doing? 

I applied for CLS to study Swahili and I'm super nervous, yet thankful I found this forum. 

I believe my application content is strong, yet I don't think I made a strong enough case on how it will apply to career goals--academic yes. I'm only a junior and believe my letters of recommendation were strong, I trust the mentors I chose. But I can't help but have my doubts.

Hi everyone! I'm patiently waiting too. I am an NSLI-Y alum.

Last year I was a semi for Intermediate, but unfortunately didn't make the cut. Applied again this year for Advanced Korean with better essays and hoping for the best. 

My semi result last year came out 1/16, and rejection on 3/1 just FYI.

Fingers crossed for everyone :)

Edited by aseolyoung
personal identifiers

I was really hoping we would hear back yesterday, but oh well... I messaged the Facebook page and they said late January, so anytime after the 15th I guess.

45 minutes ago, Msf1997 said:

So are semi-finalists considered for alternates if a finalist declines the offer? I guess I'm wondering how they prioritize alternatives

From what I have gathered, semi-finalists hear back in late February/early March as to whether they have been rejected, been selected as alternate or selected as a finalist. From then up to the start of the program, alternates are selected for any spots that open for their language (people decline their acceptance, join another program, have something come up, etc.). How people are selected from the alternate pool is not currently known.

3 hours ago, Relly said:

I messaged the Facebook page and they said late January, so anytime after the 15th I guess.

4 hours ago, Msf1997 said:

Ah, it’s nice to have a slightly narrowed down idea of when results will be released. Not that it’s going to stop me from jumping at every email I get this month ?

13 hours ago, cfebh said:

Hoping we hear back later this week rather than next! I don't think I can take another weekend of this.... lol

Yeah. Someone mentioned it earlier but I was wondering if the shutdown delays decisions. I would assume not because they could technically make the first round of selections but who knows. 

5 minutes ago, APasq said:

Yeah. Someone mentioned it earlier but I was wondering if the shutdown delays decisions. I would assume not because they could technically make the first round of selections but who knows. 

I read something about this on the CLS Applicants FB page. My understanding is that the shutdown will not affect when decisions are released.

Hopefully we find out sometime this week. In previous years, decisions have been announced (primarily) on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 

I expect the decision tomorrow or on the 16th, based on the average release time of the past few years' first round results. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! At least I won't be surprised by rejection if it happens, the way I was by NSLI-Y last year xP I'm steeling myself

P.S. If anyone who applied for Korean wants to join a CLS Korea applicant KakaoTalk group, PM me your KKT username. 

Hi guys!

Like many others, I made an account just for this thread lol. I'm applying to Advanced Beginning Hindi. I'm so anxious for tomorrow/this week/whenever semi-finalists are announced...It'd be my only chance as I'm a senior. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst ;)  Good luck to everyone!

On 11/29/2018 at 8:30 PM, sowon said:

While perusing old gradcafe threads, I found a link to the rubric that the readers use to evaluate us... unfortunately, I found it a little too late for it to be helpful, but if anyone wants to see it I can link it! Or you can read the 2017 thread. 

Did anyone here apply for NSLI-Y previously?

Also, I know it really doesn't matter at this point, but could you please link this rubric? Very curious.

https://aisforms.s3.amazonaws.com/ais/CLS/2017/CLS_Evaluation_Rubric_2017.html#Rubric This is the rubric link. I'm really shocked to see that they disqualify based on literal enumeration of examples and goals. Here's hoping someone reads past any vague writing we've done and discerns our genuine intentions.

2 hours ago, Relly said:

Looking at past threads, after 4 p.m. but before 6 p.m. seems to be the time people recieve announcements. I’m getting pumped.

I think we'll find out either today (so sometime in the next two hours) or tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, solidgold said:

https://aisforms.s3.amazonaws.com/ais/CLS/2017/CLS_Evaluation_Rubric_2017.html#Rubric This is the rubric link. I'm really shocked to see that they disqualify based on literal enumeration of examples and goals. Here's hoping someone reads past any vague writing we've done and discerns our genuine intentions.

man where was this when I was applying lol

I'm over here refreshing my email every 3 seconds... hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit delayed this year and we didn't hear back until next week