Profile Evaluation (Applying to MS Stats with econ undergrad)

Undergraduate Institution: Simon Fraser University (Canada)
Major: Economics
Minor: None
GPA: 3.31/4.33
Type of Student: International
Upper Division Courses: Calc I (B), Calc II (B-), Intermediate Macroeconomics Theory (A), Intermediate Microeconomics Theory I (B+), Intermediate Microeconomics Theory II (B-), Intermediate Econometrics Methods-seminar course (B), Statistical Analysis of Economic Data (B), Linear Algebra (C+)
GRE: 159V, 160Q, 4.5W

Recommendation Letters (I plan to request the following. See note below):
-well-known economics professor who taught me Advanced Macroeconomics Seminar (A-)
-Economics Development Seminar (A)
-Econometrics Methods Seminar (B) - I wrote an excellent term paper."-professor

Previously I asked these 3 professors for reference letters for graduate economics programs & was accepted to all of them. However, I didn't attend graduate school due to personal reasons i.e. mandatory military service. I've now changed my mind and decided to go for Statistics.

Applying To:  MS Statistics (Rutgers) , MS Statistics & Data Science (University of Houston)

Skills: R, Python 

Research Experience: 
Public Policy Professor - co-author for academic journal article using statistical analysis discussing civil service culture

I know my GPA is quite low, but I've been told that:
1. SFU is known for its relatively harsh grading scheme i.e. the percentage who get grades in the "A" range are quite low- 10% or less I've been told.
2. SFU is a still relatively top ranked school in Canada so unless you're applying to top ranked grad programs with these grades, I should still have a chance.

Edited by impartialobserver

Have you taken multivariable calc? That would be calc III at most schools in the US, not sure how it's split up in Canada though. If you haven't I'd see if you could take it to bolster your math grades. the B, B-, and C+ in your math classes might cause you problems. 

I'm curious if it helps to include a class rank in your application for those schools with harsher grading, since that would be a tad more objective. Perhaps in your CV you can list rank percentile or something (typically you can call your registrar for this information). Just a thought, not sure if this is typical or how closely CVs even get read during admissions.

When you talk about grading scheme, it depends on the group of students who take the course. I am from a well-known Canadian University and it is not unusual to have average in the 60s (C range) in first/second year core math courses like calculus and linear algebra. But in grad-level stat/math courses, the average is at least an 80 and sometimes it is close to 90. However, this does not necessarily mean it is easier to get high grades in grad-level courses because the students who take these courses are much stronger than those in first/second year courses.