The Inside Scoop (database?)

So, every year thousands of us buckle down and research schools in depth. Then we get in, get rejected or some other variant, and move on, to be followed by the next group. In all of my research I’ve always felt like it’s the students who have the most insight into a school (current students, former students or nearly students). For instance, when researching a school I found a faculty who seemed like a perfect fit but in talking to a couple of grad students with similar interests I found out that they had had no contact with him, which signaled that I probably wouldn’t either. Sometimes you don’t even know what you know until someone can shed light on how a school works.

So, as we love to help each other out, why not make a thread so people can come in and ask for general or specific info on a particular program, or several programs, and anyone with info can PM them if they wish? If people feel like it, they can even offer themselves for help with schools so newcomers know who to turn to, but maybe not everyone wants to put that out there.

I’ll go first, I’m currently narrowing down my list of schools to apply to. So if anyone has first-hand (or good second-hand) info on any of the below, I would love to chat with you about their programs (feel free to PM me or reply here). All the programs are for English Lit:

Connecticut, Purdue, Davis, Stanford, NYU, CUNY, Columbia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, George Washington, Virginia, Chicago, Northwestern, Rice, Emory, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Brown, Rutgers, Penn

For my part I can help anyone interested in UMBC.

Edited by WildeThing