Bad Luck?

Aspiring Shrink

I am reluctant to contact a few schools who haven't yet responded. From what I'm seeing most of the applicants who requests a status update seems to get rejected. Now I don't think that they reject accepted students based on their inquiry, but I wonder if they view inquiries as annoying and perhaps an easy way to lessen the great amount of applicants by removing them from the big pile, just because they had a question. Or on a more rational note, most the people that need to inquire are more likely to get rejected being that they weren't accepted for the first round.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else notice the pattern?

I think it's true that many who call in find out that they were rejected, but I don't think it's because they asked. It's usually because the people calling in have noticed a significant amount of time pass or have seen admissions offers go out to other people... And when that's the case, rejection is more likely than an acceptance with full funding, sad to say.

I noticed yesterday that I still hadn't heard from a school I'd interviewed with 3 weeks ago. Other people on the forums, though, were getting acceptances.

So, I emailed the admit counselor and asked when admissions decisions were going to be available.

She responded with, "Are you kidding? You didn't get the letter? You are absolutely accepted! That's weird, we sent out the letter..."

So while I definitely concur johndiligent about the timing of such phone calls (usually later in the game) corresponding to likelihood of rejection (also usually later in the game), lightning does strike.

I don't think it is bad luck to ask about your admissions status this late into the game. Some schools really continue their admissions process right to the very last minute, making offers as they go along... blink.gif

I noticed yesterday that I still hadn't heard from a school I'd interviewed with 3 weeks ago. Other people on the forums, though, were getting acceptances.

So, I emailed the admit counselor and asked when admissions decisions were going to be available.

She responded with, "Are you kidding? You didn't get the letter? You are absolutely accepted! That's weird, we sent out the letter..."

So while I definitely concur johndiligent about the timing of such phone calls (usually later in the game) corresponding to likelihood of rejection (also usually later in the game), lightning does strike.

Haha, what a fantastic outcome! Congrats!

Congratulations! How we wish to be in your position now...