Statement of purpose panic - it's that time of year!

mighettio

Hi! I know versions of this post have been made in the past but I thought I would go ahead and make it for the 2019 application season. Everywhere I look, I cannot find examples for sociology SOPs and personal statements. I can find them for almost every other social science, but not sociology! As someone who doesn't know any current soc PhD students who can help guide me or edit my writing, I am floundering with where to even begin. Would previously accepted students be willing to post their SOPs? It doesn't even need to contain and identifying university info, if redacting that would make people more comfortable. I really just need a good example of where to even begin! I'm struggling to balance the level of academic writing, while also adding my personality so it doesn't sound too dry but everything I write sounds like nonsense. Please help! Any examples or resources will be greatly appreciated!

I think focusing on your academic writing first is important. You can bring in some personal experiences if they speak directly to your research interests or academic history, but focus on what you want to study and why the university you're applying to is a great fit for your planned research. Then also describe the accomplishments you have and how you've got to the point of wanting to do this research. I'm sorry, but I can't share my SoP as even removing the university would make it easy to identify me.