Where should I apply for AI-robotics-reinforcement learning?

jeeenee

Hi guys,

Last year I already did this journey of applying for grad school, getting results and rejection letters and was quite sad with the results...I applied to 12 universities (2 in Canada and 10 in US) and got accepted for a PhD-Track program in UBC in Vancouver. It's quite a cool lab actually but I wanted to go to Berkeley. So in the end I decided to spend 1 year in a pretty famous UK autonomous driving startup, try to publish a few papers in big conferences and apply again this year.  My field is AI for control, robotics, and mostly reinforcement learning and the best research lab in this field is the one in Berkeley. I will try this big lottery to get in but as backup plan, also not to get as sad as last year, I wanted to find some overall good lab in a nice city. Is anyone here in the same field and/or has suggestions? 

• 1 month later...

I am a fall 19 applicant(CS major) and I am interested in the same field. Of course UC Berekeley is a dream school, but I don't think it is easy to get in. Personally, I think a CS master program with an orientation in robotics is good for me becuase I want to learn more about robotics before I move on to more serious research. In your case, have you considered some good labs in robotics? Although they may not be interested in deep reinforcement learning, as deep reinforcement learning has a rather small community. You can look for other schools with a professor interested in deep reinforcement learning. The first school comes to my mind is U Mich becuase of Satinder Singh & Honglak Lee. Of course Stanford, CMU and MIT are still good choices. Also you can check out the schools of the list of organizers of NIPS deep reinforcement leanring workshop or DLRL Summer School. What's more, I think it is a good idea to look at CS294-112 of UC Berkeley for  inportant papers and pay attention to the school of authors.

• 3 months later...