Writing Sample

Jung&Psyched

Hi all,

I was hoping for some input on a writing sample. I am applying to counseling psych doctorates, as well as some clinical/counseling masters and a few programs are asking for a writing sample. I have three papers that I think would work, but am uncertain which would be best.

1. I did not do a thesis in undergrad, but did a large group research project - each group created, ran, and presented their own experiments. While the majority of the paper was a group effort, each individual wrote their own introduction. I could use my introduction, which is 2-3 pages, for my writing sample. 

2. I did one semester of my masters in social work and then decided to take some time off and work and get a better idea of what I wanted to do. I wrote a 20ish page policy paper during that semester..... So while it is more social work focused, it was at a graduate level. 

3. I recently took psych of personality, as it was a pre-req for some of the programs I'm applying to and didn't take it in undergrad.  For this class I did a 15 page paper  that relates to my research interests for grad school.

I received As on all three papers and they are all a  good representation of my writing style and ability to write strong APA style papers. Any opinions on what would be best for applications? Something short and research-y, something graduate level but not psychology, or something more recent and pertaining to my research interests? 

Thanks for your input!

I would say the third option is probably your best bet! I think the first one may be a little on the shorter side, and they may find it harder to gauge your writing capabilities in a group paper.

The second one could potentially work too, but I have heard people say mixed things about using material from other disciplines. 

The third one also shows that you are taking initiative to actually explore your interests too instead of just stating that they are your interests, so I would go with that one.