Online vs. in-person programs?

MettaSutta

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard, it really doesn't matter as long as the program is ALA accredited. I'm doing an online program, and 3 of my coworkers are completing an online program. Do you have any library experience? It may be slightly easier to get library experience if you do an on campus program, but it's not impossible to arrange experience (finding a job or an internship) on your own. 

On 9/25/2018 at 11:01 AM, catsbloom said:

From what I've heard, it really doesn't matter as long as the program is ALA accredited. I'm doing an online program, and 3 of my coworkers are completing an online program. Do you have any library experience? It may be slightly easier to get library experience if you do an on campus program, but it's not impossible to arrange experience (finding a job or an internship) on your own. 

Yes, Pitt allows online students to do internships at libraries locally.  

I did mine in person, but did take a few online courses

It seemed to me that the online classes were way more time consuming than the traditional offering. The actual amount of work was probably the same, but the constant checking in and review of the class discussion forums was annoying.

The asynchronous nature of the online classes also makes immediate feedback impossible.

8 hours ago, avflinsch said:

I did mine in person, but did take a few online courses

It seemed to me that the online classes were way more time consuming than the traditional offering. The actual amount of work was probably the same, but the constant checking in and review of the class discussion forums was annoying.

The asynchronous nature of the online classes also makes immediate feedback impossible.

There are a few synchronous programs available. I've found my professors to be very responsive during my synchronous online classes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

My MLIS has been half online and half in-person. I finish in Spring 2019. It does not really matter to employers. If it's ALA-accredited and you do well, that is all that really counts. Online is pretty much the same in terms of internships. You just do one locally. My experience is somewhat different since my degree is an MLIS but also for Archiving. So it's taking four years instead of 3 (I go to Simmons). As I am almost done with my degree, if you have any questions, let me know. I'm more than willing to answer them.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, ElizabethIsGolden said:

Hi!

My MLIS has been half online and half in-person. I finish in Spring 2019. It does not really matter to employers. If it's ALA-accredited and you do well, that is all that really counts. Online is pretty much the same in terms of internships. You just do one locally. My experience is somewhat different since my degree is an MLIS but also for Archiving. So it's taking four years instead of 3 (I go to Simmons). As I am almost done with my degree, if you have any questions, let me know. I'm more than willing to answer them.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

How is the job market in law librarianship?

Depends where you are. I am applying to get a JD right now so that I have more to offer. But as I live in New England, there are many places to work. If you're rural, I'm sure it's pretty bad. You need to live in an area with lots of law libraries (law schools, county libraries, jail/prison, etc.).

• 7 months later...
On 1/10/2019 at 2:52 PM, ElizabethIsGolden said:

Depends where you are. I am applying to get a JD right now so that I have more to offer. But as I live in New England, there are many places to work. If you're rural, I'm sure it's pretty bad. You need to live in an area with lots of law libraries (law schools, county libraries, jail/prison, etc.).

Ahh ok.  I'll be in northern NJ.  I already have my JD (graduated 2 years ago).