Jump to content
MettaSutta

Online vs. in-person programs?

Recommended Posts

In the eyes of employers, are in-person programs seen as more legit than fully online ones?  I'd like to do online to save money.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've heard, it really doesn't matter as long as the program is ALA accredited. I'm doing an online program, and 3 of my coworkers are completing an online program. Do you have any library experience? It may be slightly easier to get library experience if you do an on campus program, but it's not impossible to arrange experience (finding a job or an internship) on your own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2018 at 11:01 AM, catsbloom said:

From what I've heard, it really doesn't matter as long as the program is ALA accredited. I'm doing an online program, and 3 of my coworkers are completing an online program. Do you have any library experience? It may be slightly easier to get library experience if you do an on campus program, but it's not impossible to arrange experience (finding a job or an internship) on your own. 

Yes, Pitt allows online students to do internships at libraries locally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did mine in person, but did take a few online courses

It seemed to me that the online classes were way more time consuming than the traditional offering. The actual amount of work was probably the same, but the constant checking in and review of the class discussion forums was annoying.

The asynchronous nature of the online classes also makes immediate feedback impossible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, avflinsch said:

I did mine in person, but did take a few online courses

It seemed to me that the online classes were way more time consuming than the traditional offering. The actual amount of work was probably the same, but the constant checking in and review of the class discussion forums was annoying.

The asynchronous nature of the online classes also makes immediate feedback impossible.

 

There are a few synchronous programs available. I've found my professors to be very responsive during my synchronous online classes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

My MLIS has been half online and half in-person. I finish in Spring 2019. It does not really matter to employers. If it's ALA-accredited and you do well, that is all that really counts. Online is pretty much the same in terms of internships. You just do one locally. My experience is somewhat different since my degree is an MLIS but also for Archiving. So it's taking four years instead of 3 (I go to Simmons). As I am almost done with my degree, if you have any questions, let me know. I'm more than willing to answer them.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 4:19 PM, ElizabethIsGolden said:

Hi!

My MLIS has been half online and half in-person. I finish in Spring 2019. It does not really matter to employers. If it's ALA-accredited and you do well, that is all that really counts. Online is pretty much the same in terms of internships. You just do one locally. My experience is somewhat different since my degree is an MLIS but also for Archiving. So it's taking four years instead of 3 (I go to Simmons). As I am almost done with my degree, if you have any questions, let me know. I'm more than willing to answer them.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

How is the job market in law librarianship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends where you are. I am applying to get a JD right now so that I have more to offer. But as I live in New England, there are many places to work. If you're rural, I'm sure it's pretty bad. You need to live in an area with lots of law libraries (law schools, county libraries, jail/prison, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 2:52 PM, ElizabethIsGolden said:

Depends where you are. I am applying to get a JD right now so that I have more to offer. But as I live in New England, there are many places to work. If you're rural, I'm sure it's pretty bad. You need to live in an area with lots of law libraries (law schools, county libraries, jail/prison, etc.).

Ahh ok.  I'll be in northern NJ.  I already have my JD (graduated 2 years ago). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.