Anyone know anything about Carnegie Mellon?

color_aid

I wanted to know if anyone has experience with Carnegie Mellon's MFA program. It looks pretty appealing, but I haven't spoken to anyone who went there. Does anyone here have any experience with the program? If so, how did you like it? What did it do well and where did it not work so well?

I'm particularly interested in their strong "public sphere" component they mention on their website. They say they put a lot of emphasis on "social context and civic engagement as paramount within contemporary art." This really appeals to me, but the language is all pretty vague. I'd like know means in a practical sense in the program and your experience of with this element was.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Don't waste your money on the application fee. I went there and it was nothing like they advertised, instead just a pretty random program with mediocre facilities and no central philosophy. It is also less of an "art school" and more of an "art room" in a computer science school. The causal abuse and condescending pretension is just the icing on the cake- also, it is not well funded, ends up costing around 90k with a significant scholarship. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2018 at 1:30 PM, color_aid said:

I wanted to know if anyone has experience with Carnegie Mellon's MFA program. It looks pretty appealing, but I haven't spoken to anyone who went there. Does anyone here have any experience with the program? If so, how did you like it? What did it do well and where did it not work so well?

I'm particularly interested in their strong "public sphere" component they mention on their website. They say they put a lot of emphasis on "social context and civic engagement as paramount within contemporary art." This really appeals to me, but the language is all pretty vague. I'd like know means in a practical sense in the program and your experience of with this element was.

Thanks!

What you quoted basically means that the school wants you to have some form of social commentary in your body of work. I would say this is fairly standard across MFA programs.

Edit: Also, I am not sure how I ended up on a post from 2018... sorry for reviving this thread. :)

Edited by SpillToBuilt