Hi fellow humans,

Applying to English PhD programs.

Looking at the NYU GSAS required application materials, I noticed they say that a personal history statement is *optional*. Importantly, the department's webside does not mention this at all. (https://gsas.nyu.edu/content/nyu-as/gsas/admissions/gsas-application-resource-center/statement-of-academic-purpose-and-personal-history-statement.html)

I also noticed on the CollegeNet application forms of some schools that there's a place to add a paragraph or so as a diversity statement.

I know that the personal history and diversity statements are two separate things meant to highlight different aspects of myself or my academic/community involvement, but I was wondering if anyone has any insights as to whether these are actually taken into account in the admissions decisions, or whether they're only used for deciding on additional and external fellowships/funding etc. that is available to a variety of minorities, or for other reasons unrelated to admission.

As an international student, I'm unlikely to qualify for such additional fellowships, and am therefore wondering whether there's any value in investing the time to write these statements. I have things to say, but would like to focus on the SoP and WS if these other two statements are irrelevant to the adcoms.

I perused the forum for answers to these, but if I missed a discussion on the matter a link to it would be very appreciated! 

?

Edited by lit-TARDIS

• 1 month later...

Im an international student as well. I feel like we need to stand out from the crowd (competition for international students is stiff!) and these sections are the best spots to try stand out by talking about things that make you unique.