statements & interviews - advice?

microspider

jumping the gun i guess, but i'm already freaking out at the idea of interviewing. i'm anxious enough at interviews for random jobs that aren't that important to me; i feel like i'm going to be such a nervous mess no matter how much i prepare for these! that said, if anyone can shed some light on the matter, especially if anyone has gotten accepted to a school where they had an interview that they felt went poorly or where they know they looked super nervous the whole time... i could use some calming... it's especially frustrating because i KNOW how well i can discuss my work and art in general when i'm not in the context of an interview, and i just need to figure a way to make it feel like there isn' t so much at stake.

also, any more insight towards statement of intent? i can't suss out how personal vs. strictly professional or career-focused my "intention" is supposed to be?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always jotting down little pieces of thought while I'm working in the studio, over the years this has more or less become my statement. Make sure you include reference to faculty and why you want to attend each school. Read lots of interviews with artists you get inspiration from. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's not really possible to "fail" the interview.  The interviewers at that point know that your work would fit the program and are sussing out whether you are good fit for the community.  As long as you show up engaged, and willing to answer questions, you'll be fine.  The week before, have a few studio visits with people who have never seen your work before - this helps work out jitters.

As for writing your intent, I find it's useful to talk about how you want your work to grow over the next 2-3 years, and how grad school is an important part of that progress.  What do you think you'd get out of participating in this program in particular?  I strongly recommend mentioning 1-2 faculty members you particularly want to work with.

Edited by 121212