List of Humanities PhD Programs that DO NOT require GRE

Sentimental Prof

Building a list. More and more departments are moving away from this horrible, expensive, soul-crushing, pointless exam. This is what I have so far. Please let me know of other programs. Also: should this become a google-doc? A website? (Started this on gradadmissions subreddit.)

African American Studies/Africana Studies: Cornell; Northwestern; U Mass Amherst

American Studies: Harvard; NYU; University of Michigan (American Culture); University of New Mexico

Art History/Visual Studies: University of Arizona; University of New Mexico

Chicanx and Latinx Studies: University of New Mexico

Comparative Literature, Literatures not in English, Literature: University of Michigan (Asian Languages and Culture); Stanford (Modern Thought & Literature); University of Pittsburgh (Hispanic Languages and Literature)

Cultural Studies/Media Studies: MIT (Media Arts and Sciences); University of Washington, Bothell (Cultural Studies MA)

Ethnic Studies: UC Berkeley

English: Harvard; Oregon State University (MA, req for PhD); Stanford; UC Riverside; U Mass Amherst; University of New Mexico; Washington State University; Wayne State (MA, req. for PhD)

Cinema Studies/Film: Ohio University (MA), University of Toronto*

History: Emory; Northwestern; University of New Mexico

Latin American Studies: NYU (Latin American and Caribbean Studies: optional, req.for joint journalism PhD); U Conn

Linguistics: MIT; UCLA; U Mass Amherst; University of Michigan

Middle Eastern Studies: CUNY Graduate Center (MA, optional)

Musicology: Brandeis ("highly recommended" but not req.), Cornell (?), UCLA (recommended but not req.)

Native American, American Indian, Indigenous Studies: University of Arizona

Performance Studies: NYU; UCLA (Culture and Performance within World Arts and Culture/Dance)

Philosophy: UBC*; University of Michigan; University of Pennsylvania; UW Madison

Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies: Emory; Oregon State University (optional); UW Madison (MA)

*Canadian programs tend not to require GRE. For now, I'm listing Canadian programs esp. in fields where there aren't a lot of other options.

note: Please confirm before applying to these schools. This list of disciplinary categories is provisional, I am revising and updating as I get more info. Some fields listed here traverse humanities and social sciences (e.g. gender studies). Sticking mainly to PhD programs, but throwing in MAs as I come across them, esp. if it looks like they might be funded.

I've moved this onto a google doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XXBLNLDz-JsGBHD0YGyHPr7lG-dE5t-nNhJDUH5feoQ/edit?usp=sharing

You can apply to some of the best departments in certain fields w/o taking the GRE. 

I've compiled this list just via casual google search — there have to be a LOT more out there. (Is there really no running list of NO-GRE PhD programs?)

[And, apologies for posting here as a faculty member — I just don't know who cares about this more that grad students!]

• 2 months later...

All of the programs that I applied to are considered to be excellent (except one, that is new) and I chose them in part because they did not require GRE. One, Michigan, especifically states that "We have not found it helpful in our admissions decisions and no longer use it." 

• 9 months later...