Hi all,

I haven't found a post about this more recent than 2012 and am looking for updated experiences. Did anyone who applied to 10+ programs use Interfolio and have success with it? Did those of you who did not use it find that it wasn't a problem to forgo it?

I dread the idea of paying for yet another part of this process and it seems much easier to follow the website's instructions and put in my letter-writers' email addresses rather than navigate a third-party service that sounds complicated and inconsistent, not to mention email each of the programs and ask if they accept it. But -- I equally dread the idea of my letter-writers receiving 13 different emails requesting uploads. One of my letter-writers is British and unfamiliar with the US application process and he has never had to support so many applications for one student before. Another one of my letter-writers suggested Interfolio to me last year when I was applying to MA programs and seemed disappointed that the programs I was applying to didn't accept it.

Thoughts?

Edited by indecisivepoet

Hi - I think Interfolio is an absolute scam.

I had to use it during my second application season. In theory, it makes it easier to submit your letters since you have control over the letter submission. The problems are (1) the cost, (2) the fact that you still have to upload every other document via the websites, and (3) a fair number of schools won't accept letters sent by Interfolio. 

When I applied to 14 schools this past season, I did not use Interfolio. 

The portals should be open by this point, and you should be able to submit your LW info between now and the actual due date. 

I submitted my LW info in batches, groups of 3-5 schools, and emailed my LWs both before (to let them know what schools and when) and after I had submitted their info (to clue them into looking for requests).

I had zero problems with them since I didn't flood them with requests. I did have a couple of programs require me to submit my application before I could submit my LW info, but that isn't hard to deal with. One thing to keep in mind - your application materials should absolutely be in by the deadline. If your LW can't get their letter in by the deadline, that is usually OK. Obviously, they cannot wait weeks and weeks, but there is a bit more leeway for faculty because, well, other faculty know how busy everyone is. At least that is the story I've been told (and have sort of, kind of see myself.) 

Thanks, @a_sort_of_fractious_angel. I am leaning toward not using it. I wonder if your approach would work for me, though -- two of my recommenders have only known me for a month and I'm hoping to give them up until December to write their letters as we get to know each other better. I'm also planning to send in all my materials pretty close to the deadlines because I was only convinced to apply this year instead of next year a couple weeks ago and will be scrambling to get things done. Maybe I can just be up front with them about the number of emails they'll get and how I want to make that easier on them, and I can ask if they'd prefer to get started on the letters now or to submit them all at once in December.

Edited by indecisivepoet

I think it is more valuable for people seeking faculty jobs, especially if their advisers are retired or deceased.  I ask all of my letter writers to upload a letter to Interfolio for emergency purposes, but not enough of schools accept Interfolio letters for doctoral apps. They seem to have a page with a chart that the letter writer has to complete, and Interfolio has no way of doing that.  

13 hours ago, indecisivepoet said:

Thanks, @a_sort_of_fractious_angel. I am leaning toward not using it. I wonder if your approach would work for me, though -- two of my recommenders have only known me for a month and I'm hoping to give them up until December to write their letters as we get to know each other better. I'm also planning to send in all my materials pretty close to the deadlines because I was only convinced to apply this year instead of next year a couple weeks ago and will be scrambling to get things done. Maybe I can just be up front with them about the number of emails they'll get and how I want to make that easier on them, and I can ask if they'd prefer to get started on the letters now or to submit them all at once in December.

No problem - no matter when you send it in, if you can organize in groups and send before/after emails, I think that'll help them with organization and you with keeping your sanity. :)