Personal Statement in Sociology

purpleatheart1994

Hi, everyone!

I want to apply for Sociology MA and PhD programs for Fall 2019. I came from a small university abroad, with 3.5/4 CGPA and decent GRE score.

I've read that we should refer to sociological concepts in the personal statement. How specific should these be?

I don't have a lot of relevant research experience and currently am working in an unrelated field (but can vouch for 'transferable skills'). Would schools be interested in offering funded PhD offers?

Also, should I be applying for fellowships and grants also? When are deadlines usually? Before or after admissions? Any help would be much appreciated!

Your personal statement should demonstrate that you know some of the research that has been completed on your topic of interest and can propose a research project that would add to this knowledge. 

Universities in North America generally have limited numbers of funded spots for international students. They are highly competitive and require that you have a good fit with the research strengths of the department. Universities that provide funding generally consider you for funding if you apply at the normal application deadline.

Your own country may have some funding opportunities available as well from some type of national funding agency which you could investigate. Ask the professors who will be writing your letters of recommendation if they know of anything.