F 2019 Profile Evaluation and Guidance- OR/Biostat

Undergraduate Institution: Small Southern University

Major: Mathematics

Minor: Physics

GPA:

overall: 3.73

Math: 3.66

(I had one rough semester of mostly B's and one A that I will explain the extenuating circumstances behind)

Type of Student: Domestic White Female

Courses Taken:

Intro to Mathematical Proofs (A), Differential Equations (B), Probability and Statistics (A), Intro to Abstract Algebra I (B), Intro to Real Analysis I (A), Calculus 3 (B), Statics (B), Mechanics (B)

THIS Semester (intended grade): Functions of a Complex Variable (A), Discrete Mathematics (A), Computational Tech in Physics (A), Undergrad Research in Statistics (A)

** note that the schools currently on my list will receive this semester's grades as their deadlines will be after grades are due

GRE General:

Q: 183 (83 %tile)

V: 158 (80 %tile)

W: 4.0 (59 %tile)

(Plan on retaking as my practice tests had my in the 90+% for quant)

Subject test: TBD

Programs Applying: A mix of OR, Biostat, and one ME MS

Research Experience: Currently working on an honors thesis focusing on the PDE heat equation and hopefully finding an accurate experimental way to model it in two dimensions so I can then model via program and mathematically. I am also required to do a senior project which will be based on the combinatorics or a particular board game

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list a few semesters, Honors graduate, graduating a four year program in only three years, a few university scholarships

Letters Of Recommendation: Two confirmed. One from a professor I had for linear algebra, proofs, and abstract. The other I had for calculus three, differential equations, and complex variable and he is also my thesis adviser.

Next Semester Schedule: Numerical Analysis, Stochastic Processes, and either Abstract Alegbra 2 OR Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos (any suggestions here would also be appreciated)

Schools: ( I appreciate any and all guidance, especially in this category)

ME MS- Boston University's LEAP (engineering masters program for non engineering undergrads)

OR Programs (MS unless otherwise noted)

NCSU 

Simon Fraser

Ohio State

Bowling Green

GT- (i have a fee waiver, so why not?) *PHD

Biostat Programs (MS unless otherwise noted)

Louisville

Northwestern

Iowa

UNC

University of Georgia

Georgetown

Thank you for any and all feedback!

*Note that this is only my third year so if i should stay another semester, that's also another option

Edited by 00halle00

I think you're under-applying. You've already got enough math background (and a decent GRE Q score) to be a good candidate for Biostat MS programs at the level of UNC. Schools like Michigan, Berkeley, Minnesota, Penn, etc. should be your wheelhouse.