Statistic Research ?

I would like to start a research, but I am wondering what kind of research are people usually doing in statistics ? Or should I just join some research group in other faculty (ex. chem, bio) ? And how can I get funding? 

I am in my fourth year undergraduate, and I would like to apply to Standford statistics. Any hints (besides good GPA and GRE score) ? 

Thanks a lot a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are applying for this admission cycle you can not get meaningful research experience in less than three months.  Even if you apply for next year,  I highly doubt you could get enough before you graduate to be competitive at a place like Stanford.  Stanford is the #1 program in the US.  A 4.0 and a 170 Math GRE with a perfect subject test isn't going to get you into Stanford.  You have to have research experience on some level to be competitive in probably the top 10 programs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a different take on this. If you are thinking of research leading to a publication in a conference or journal, then Bayesian1701 is right, it's way too late for this cycle. But on the other hand, if you volunteer to help the professors who are writing your letters of recommendation in their research, it gives them something to write about in their letters and it also gives you something to write about in your SOP.