Humphrey Institute

NCCCATX

Hi All,

I've lurked on these boards throughout the application process and learned a lot, but I've seen very little mention of Humphrey at the University of Minnesota. There US News rank is good, but lower than most of the other schools I'm considering, and they have a very active group for admitted students to ask questions but I'd like an outside perspective. They offered me an extremely generous aid package that would be hard to turn down but I'd like to know more about others perception of their program and career prospects compared to Sanford/Heinz/etc

Hi All,

I've lurked on these boards throughout the application process and learned a lot, but I've seen very little mention of Humphrey at the University of Minnesota. There US News rank is good, but lower than most of the other schools I'm considering, and they have a very active group for admitted students to ask questions but I'd like an outside perspective. They offered me an extremely generous aid package that would be hard to turn down but I'd like to know more about others perception of their program and career prospects compared to Sanford/Heinz/etc

I visited Humphrey and was impressed. UM seems to have a strong research presence and Humphrey is a strong part of that. I met a few faculty members and all seemed very engaged with the students and there seemed to be plenty of research and opportunities for one on one interaction. Humphrey also has nice funding packages for its students and seems to be very interested in promoting its students.

I'd also be really interested in what people would have to say about this program's presence in the field. For various reasons I'm giving it strong consideration, and it seems to be a good program, my only concern is that it will hurt job prospects after graduation. I'm particularly interested in international development and they have a brand new program dedicated to this, just not quite sure what to think yet.

Hi,

I have been accepted into international development program. Its a masters in development practice, not a masters in public policy/affairs. im not sure if that has any effect on your job prospects in the future.

The HHHI looks quite good on the website. The number of research opportunities seem ample which i something i am looking for. However I'm keen on returning to asia after my program and am interested to know how recognized it is in Asia.

My biggest concern is whether i'll be able to stay in Minnesota with its cold weather. Right now im staying 2 degrees north of the equator in Asia.