Level of difficulty/rigor of MSW programs compared to other grad/professional programs

MettaSutta

Recent law graduate here.  How rigorous are MSW programs compared to other grad programs, specifically JD? Are you graded on a forced curve like I was in law school? Should I expect to spend significantly more time on classes compared to in a JD program? Is the stress level much greater?  I'm just concerned that I can't "hack it" or that I'm not fit for graduate-level studies.  

Is this a serious question? I’ll assume that it is and answer in good faith... if you made it through law school, you should be absolutely fine with the level of study required in an MSW program. That’s not to say that there won’t be challenges, but I don’t think the course load will be one of them. 

18 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Is this a serious question? I’ll assume that it is and answer in good faith... if you made it through law school, you should be absolutely fine with the level of study required in an MSW program. That’s not to say that there won’t be challenges, but I don’t think the course load will be one of them. 

I am serious.  I finished law school with a 2.87 GPA (36th %ile in my graduating class) and took longer than three years to complete the degree, which casts doubt on my ability to complete graduate level work successfully.  

On 10/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, green_dots21 said:

You should be fine long as you are able to write long papers and understand statistics. But that is only one part of being a successful MSW student.

Yeah the understanding stats thing might be a problem...never did take the class in undergrad even though I was a Sociology major.  

On 10/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, green_dots21 said:

You should be fine long as you are able to write long papers and understand statistics. But that is only one part of being a successful MSW student.

What was the longest paper you had to write in your MSW program?

On 10/26/2018 at 2:03 PM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

What was the longest paper you had to write in your MSW program?

In advanced level courses, I had to write upwards to 15 pages, which is not much compared to other graduate courses I've taken. You can go to writing centers on campus if you have difficulty with writing papers. I also encourage you to speak with professors if you feel your writing skills will be an obstacle in obtaining high marks. 

Edited by green_dots21

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 9:31 PM, green_dots21 said:

In advanced level courses, I had to write upwards to 15 pages, which is not much compared to other graduate courses I've taken. You can go to writing centers on campus if you have difficulty with writing papers. I also encourage you to speak with professors if you feel your writing skills will be an obstacle in obtaining high marks. 

Oh wow, that's not a lot.  I'm accustomed to writing papers longer than 15 pages in law school.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, green_dots21 said:

15 pages?! You're not messing with me, right?

My last undergraduate research paper was just under 45 pages. I'll take 15 pages in a heartbeat! Maybe grad school won't be my own personal hell  after all. 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:24 PM, meganruss said:

15 pages?! You're not messing with me, right?

My last undergraduate research paper was just under 45 pages. I'll take 15 pages in a heartbeat! Maybe grad school won't be my own personal hell  after all. 

Nope! And many papers are group papers, which means you are only responsible for one or two sections of it. There is a LOT of writing, but it is not as intimidating as other programs. All the social work classes I've taken only required 2-3 papers and a group assignment. 

16 hours ago, green_dots21 said:

Nope! And many papers are group papers, which means you are only responsible for one or two sections of it. There is a LOT of writing, but it is not as intimidating as other programs. All the social work classes I've taken only required 2-3 papers and a group assignment. 

This is certainly a breath of fresh air! I'm much less nervous about the workload now. I generally enjoy group work, so this is more of a bonus than a negative. Of course I've had my share of frustrations, but... :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 10:49 AM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

Recent law graduate here.  How rigorous are MSW programs compared to other grad programs, specifically JD? Are you graded on a forced curve like I was in law school? Should I expect to spend significantly more time on classes compared to in a JD program? Is the stress level much greater?  I'm just concerned that I can't "hack it" or that I'm not fit for graduate-level studies.  

If you completed any JD program, you should be well-prepared for any MSW program in terms of workload. 
You should expect less time and less stress in an MSW program and to get a 4.0. In most of my MSW classes, UMaryland class of 2013, nearly all the students received A's, no curve.