Comparative Politics Program Perspectives

phillympp

I am deciding between a MPhil in comparative Politics at Oxford and a MSc in Comparative Politics (Ethnicity and Nationalism) at LSE. I am interested in studying the effect of nationalism and regionalism on political systems. I am not from the UK, so I have a limited understanding of these programs. I am not 100% set on academia. Working as a practitioner is very appealing. I hope to eventually pursue a PhD. As a result, the opportunity to work with a professor and develop a close relationship is important to me. The one major difference is the program length. Oxford is 2 years and LSE is 1 year.

Can anyone provide me with some suggestions?

Provided I'm accepted at Oxford (hopefully!), I'll be in a similar situation, except I'm in theory. I'm also not from the UK, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but here are my perceptions nonetheless:

1. It seems that at least two of the advantages Oxford has are: 1) the style of education, Oxford's tutorial system seems like it's really geared towards that close relationship that you say you're looking for, plus it seems like it's just good pedagogically; and 2) Oxford seems to have a very robust methodological component to its programs which (I don't know about you) I personally find very appealing.

2. LSE's advantages seem to be a bit more in the 'life' category i.e. living in London, and all the access/perks that that entails (really cool lectures from visiting world leaders?, cultural life, etc). However, if you're interested in possibly becoming a practitioner, it seems like LSE prides itself on placing people in cool jobs, whether it be in business or human rights NGOs, or whatever.

3. I wouldn't worry so much about the length of the two programs, as if you go on to the doctorate, the total length of the programs will be the same: Oxford (2-year MPhil + 2-year DPhil), LSE (1-year MSc + 3-year PhD). 4 years altogether, either way.

In any case, that's a really awesome decision to have to make, as these two schools are suuuuuuuuper amaz. Congratulations.

The other thing to remember is that if you do decide to go for the PhD, if you have a certain mark on the MPhil at Oxford you are virtually guaranteed to continue on to the DPhil. On the other hand so many people are accepted to the LSE MScs that admission to the PhD is far from guaranteed. There are also tons and tons of grad students at LSE so on one hand it's good but on the other you don't get that personal experience or feeling of being at a higher level of your education. It's almost like a 5th year of undergrad except the work is harder. I went to LSE for my masters so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

The other thing to remember is that if you do decide to go for the PhD, if you have a certain mark on the MPhil at Oxford you are virtually guaranteed to continue on to the DPhil.

This is becoming less true though. I know that since last year especially more people than they could accommodate have asked to stay on for the DPhil. However, if you put in the hours and manage to impress potential supervisors, it shouldn't be a problem.

On the lifestyle question: Oxford is an amazing place to study. It's beautiful, the atmosphere is great, and although it doesn't compare to London in terms of potential leisure activities (but then few places do, IMO) London is just an hour away. There is a bus going back and forth 24-7, so if you want to go out, it is no problem to get back to Oxford. Plus, the busses are quite convenient with wireless etc, so you can always do some work.

I love London, but it is not the easiest place to study. Depending on your financial situation, you will have to live far away from uni and face huge costs of living. Plus, it is very distracting. I always found that when you go to Oxford you get the best of both worlds. If you want to get big city life, you go to London for the day/weekend - otherwise you have the picturesque, convenient and productive atmosphere at Oxford.

Of course, lifestyle is not everything... wink.gif

But if I were in your position, I would go to Oxford. In fact, I did.

Thanks for all the advise.

Does Oxford offer any funding for students pursuing a DPhil? From my review of their website, it appears Oxford does not financially support DPhil candidates. As a result, I would probably have to return to the states to get a Ph'd. I assume both schools are considered highly reputable by U.S. institutions.