UT-Austin Update (Political Science PhD)

I was told by the Graduate Department Coordinator that the admissions committee met this past Friday at 10 AM to make final decisions. She further told me that e-mails and letters would go out Monday, February 18th (today). I have not received any word yet - probably a bad sign (perhaps only the e-mail notification goes to the 20-40 acceptances and the rest just get a letter later this week. In any event, I thought this info would be useful for others who have applied to UT's PhD program in Government....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told the same thing when I emailed the admissions coordinator on February 14. As of right now, I haven't heard anything via email. And yes, I'm with you in thinking that the silence is probably a bad sign. I really want to call them, but I think that doing so would probably be bad form.

I wouldn't give up too much on not hearing via e-mail today. The graduate coordinators aren't as a whole always spot on in their accuracy and with today's holiday she could have just said Monday without thinking it through when she said that last Friday. That said, the University was open for business today. I don't think e-mailing is in poor form at all. I've had several friendly back and fourths with MM their Coordinator and she's always been happy to give me the latest info and very gracious in doing so. Again, her e-mail to me was open to interpretation. She said letters would start to go out Monday, and that e-mails would go out to everyone as well. But she didn't say that the e-mails would go out Monday, just that they would go out as well. Who knows. We'll know by the end of this week though.

I called today and the coordinator told me decisions had been made, but was ambiguous about when (i.e., "this week and next week") those decisions would go out. Sometimes, decisions need to be finalized by the DGS or the Graduate School. So, I wouldn't discount yourselves yet.

EDIT: It also doesn't seem like anyone on gradcafe or yuster got in today, so that might be an indication that the emails will be going out tomorrow or later.

Nothing yet. It is killing me as I would love to return to Austin.

In a bizarre twist, I thought I had received an email from UT only to discover it was an acceptance from WUSTL! Very excited, but nervous because there is a possibility (that only recently came up) that I can't move to SL because of hubby's work. But Austin would be no prob...

monkeyorama said:
Nothing yet. It is killing me as I would love to return to Austin.

In a bizarre twist, I thought I had received an email from UT only to discover it was an acceptance from WUSTL! Very excited, but nervous because there is a possibility (that only recently came up) that I can't move to SL because of hubby's work. But Austin would be no prob...

Congrats on WashU! It's got one of the best political science departments in the world.

I really want to know where these letters/e-mails are... I haven't heard anyone else having gotten notice and decisions were made last Friday. Where are the e-mails? Seriously how long does it take to send the word, "No." to 250 e-mail addresses and "Yes, more info forthcoming" to 35 addresses? If they really did make decisions last Friday this is taking a long azz time. :x

I really want to know where these letters/e-mails are... I haven't heard anyone else having gotten notice and decisions were made last Friday. Where are the e-mails? Seriously how long does it take to send the word, "No." to 250 e-mail addresses and "Yes, more info forthcoming" to 35 addresses? If they really did make decisions last Friday this is taking a long azz time. :x

They may have to get their list approved by the graduate school and any number of other offices.

Two responses:

1) That is worse than Zimbardo's prison if true.

2) Is there a web site where we can check our status for UT?

The log in for the Status Check is:

https://utdirect.utexas.edu/admissions/status_check.WBX

Elsewhere it is stated that admissions decisions are immediately posted, but this appears to potentially be true for undergraduates only. For grads it may simply be a list of documents received. Still, I keep looking.

I posted this elsewhere, but just an FYI:

The word I get is that the responses will not go out this week. The hope is that they will go out next week, but it could be the week after that. The woman I spoke to (believe it was Meagan Mulligan) sounded a little flustered that it is taking awhile. She stated that the decisions have been made (as we already knew) but that she was waiting on the go ahead from higher ups.

The gradual changes in the information that is being received (decisions have been made changes to decisions are being finalized) and the sudden introduction of interviews confirms my suspicions about the psych department running the show. I'm not even in the country right now (on a biz trip with my husband), and unsure how I could arrange an interview. Perhaps I could keep my toddler quiet with some ridiculous amount of candy and DVDs. I went to UT for law school and remember that admissions process as being much easier to predict.

The gradual changes in the information that is being received (decisions have been made changes to decisions are being finalized) and the sudden introduction of interviews confirms my suspicions about the psych department running the show. I'm not even in the country right now (on a biz trip with my husband), and unsure how I could arrange an interview. Perhaps I could keep my toddler quiet with some ridiculous amount of candy and DVDs. I went to UT for law school and remember that admissions process as being much easier to predict.

What is your subfield?