How recent do my scores need to be?

Konstantine

If you took the test in after July 1, 2016, your scores would be valid until 5 years after your test date. If it was prior to this date in this year, scores expire on June 30, 2021.

If you're satisfied with your scores, there would be no reason to retake the exam.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same question. My test date was August 2014. Should I be worried that it is not recent enough? 

Speaking for economics - 

UBC does not accept scores older than two years 

Boston University prefers scores within two years 

Northwestern will accept scores no older than sep 2014

Do universities strictly follow these policies? Anybody had any such experience? 

43 minutes ago, Rs1234321 said:

I have the same question. My test date was August 2014. Should I be worried that it is not recent enough? 

Your score should still be valid if you apply this year. Having a valid score just means that ETS will be able to send a record to the schools though. A university might have a set of different standards of how 'new' they prefer scores to be.

43 minutes ago, Rs1234321 said:

Do universities strictly follow these policies? Anybody had any such experience? 

These are generally rules set forth by the department or the grad school.They don't often allow for exceptions. Boston University might be the most flexible because of the language they used. In any of the 3 situations, it's best to clarify with each department.