Should I send out my TOEFL score

artvandaley

Now, this might sound a bit crazy but i took the TOEFL and sent the scores only for two Unis that did not waive it. I'm applying to 8 phd sociology programs but on a really tight budget, and so i thought this would save me some money! 

I had decided to submit alternative proofs (english as medium of instruction in my undergrad) to the other schools i'm applying to. 

I just got my toefl which is 117 (ibt). Since this is a good score, now I'm reconsidering this choice if it will actually boost my application. Kindly suggest if toefl actually matters! Sending this score out might be good for me now as my gre writing score is pretty low (4) but my verbal is decent (164) - is it so?

Edited by artvandaley

• 4 weeks later...

TOEFL does not boost application. It is a pass/fail kind of thing. As long as you can prove that your English is in working order - you're good. TOEFL WILL NOT be chosen over GRE in any way and will not compensate any deficiencies of the GRE score. If you can waive the requirement - just waive it. Sending the TOEFL score will only cost you money. 

• 2 weeks later...