berkeley vs sipa vs syracuse maxwell

here's the deal:

1. Berkeley Goldman MPP - No Funding

2. Columbia SIPA MPA - No Funding

3. Syracuse Maxwell MPA - 40% Funding

Right now, I am leaning more towards columbia or berkeley for a number of reasons. I like their program offerings better and i feel that i need internship experience before i start working.

I am interested in a social/economic policy. Columbia will cost the most (an additional $50k). Even as an out of state student, Berkeley will be cheaper than Columbia. I hope to eventually work somewhere on the east coast (NY or DC). Syracuse will be roughly half the cost of Berkeley which makes sense since its a one year program.

Any thoughts? I threw Syracuse in there because I am interested to hear about that program, but I'm mainly interested in Columbia vs. Berkeley. Does Berkeley Goldman have good recognition on the east coast? If i'm deciding between Berkeley and Columbia is it fair to say they are pretty even? Is Berkeley more quantitative than SIPA?

any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks all !

I have heard second hand (friend's boyfriend just finished MAIR and loved it; friend of parents highly recommends MPA program) that the Maxwell School is solid and that the rankings do have some basis to them. The current students that I've corresponded with have been positive about their experiences (you can get their email addresses from the website). I've been looking into the MPA program and the more I see the more I like, especially in terms of the practical focus. I haven't heard amazing things about Syracuse the city (the weather is cold and dreary) but the campus is nice and the city is cheap. I've also heard that the alumni network in DC is very strong.

I only considered two programs, was accepted to both, and will be going to UCB in the fall. All cheerleading aside, some thoughts:

Academic prestige

Whereas GSPP may not be the top ranked MPP program, all but one of their graduate degrees ranks in the top 10, based on US News Rankings. Any elective course you take will be in another top-ranked program with great faculty. I think we (especially these forums) pray too much to the rankings. It's what you make of it. Don't make a decision on rankings alone.

Policy work beyond theory

You will work on at least three very real policy projects: 1: as a group in the second-semester intro to policy course; 2: as a paid summer intern; 3: in your advanced policy analysis. Many internships turn into APAs for actual clients and are similarly compensated. Second year students often take on other commitments such as GSI work or internships.

A good deal

GSPP is a bargain compared to its private equivalents. Also, graduate student instructors are unionized at UC and any reader/tutor/instructor positions at or above 25% (10 hrs/wk) include some fee remission and wage/salary.

Networks

GSPP does have a large network in DC, but its reputation is probably strongest in California. The career counseling office hosts a spring networking trip to DC for students. I have an inquiry in for stats on graduating student salaries and average student loan debt. I'll share it with the board when I get a response.

Come to study, stay to work

Berkeley and San Francisco (FYI: don't call it San Fran, locals like SF or simply, "the city") are great places to live and study especially if you are a liberal. I've lived in the Bay Area for the last three years after finishing my undergrad on the East Coast. California might be saddled with problems, but this place has stuck its barbs in me, and because of it I have no plans to head home anytime soon. The weather here approximates a Mediterranean climate, ahoy the culinary cornucopia, and, again if you are liberal, lots of like-minded people.

Let us know when you make up your mind.... and I may see you on the April 7 open house.

Cheers!

Academic prestige

Whereas GSPP may not be the top ranked MPP program

I definitely agree that you shouldn't base your decision on rankings (these may have bias, for example in favor of programs that have been around longer like Maxwell), however they are a good tool in terms of confirming that a program is recognized to be of high quality, after also looking at the program itself and talking to as many people you can, and looking at employment data and seeing if the kinds of jobs people get are the kinds of jobs you want. I think gotmusic and I mention the rankings only because the OP said they are mainly interested in the other two, and we think Maxwell is worth considering given that it's clearly very highly regarded and it's the cheapest option. That said, GSPP hardly suffers in terms of rankings -- it's number 6 on the overall public affairs rankings and number 2 (behind Harvard) in terms of public policy analysis. In both of these cases GSPP ranks above Columbia (number 14 overall, not listed on the website for policy analysis). I think the advantage of Columbia is the location and the potentially better connections you'll make when you're there (since I suspect it's most popular amongst high achievers based on its location and name), but I also think the level of education (and peers) at all of the choices is excellent and the OP should focus on choosing the program that is a better fit, considering the fact that debt can be a major burden.

Edited by Minerva473

here's the deal:

1. Berkeley Goldman MPP - No Funding

2. Columbia SIPA MPA - No Funding

3. Syracuse Maxwell MPA - 40% Funding

Right now, I am leaning more towards columbia or berkeley for a number of reasons. I like their program offerings better and i feel that i need internship experience before i start working.

I am interested in a social/economic policy. Columbia will cost the most (an additional $50k). Even as an out of state student, Berkeley will be cheaper than Columbia. I hope to eventually work somewhere on the east coast (NY or DC). Syracuse will be roughly half the cost of Berkeley which makes sense since its a one year program.

Any thoughts? I threw Syracuse in there because I am interested to hear about that program, but I'm mainly interested in Columbia vs. Berkeley. Does Berkeley Goldman have good recognition on the east coast? If i'm deciding between Berkeley and Columbia is it fair to say they are pretty even? Is Berkeley more quantitative than SIPA?

any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks all !

Congratulations on such awesome acceptances!

As an undergraduate at Berkeley, I have to vouch for GSPP. I really admire the program; the faculty is amazing and the grad students (great GSIs! -- definitely TA to offset your costs) are top notch. Their research projects are really impressive, and I only wish I knew more. I've tried to spend as much time at the school as possible, and I know my policy-buff peers have, as well! The minor offered at the school is quite popular among us.

That said, the school is calm, quiet and welcoming. It has a great location on the campus' North side, the side grad students prefer because it's away from the undergraduate hubbub.

At least in the San Francisco Bay Area, GSPP is very highly regarded in terms of public policy analysis. I see the Dean, Henry Brady, on the news frequently, and Professor Robert Reich offers commentary often. In some ways, GSPP is the public face of UC Berkeley.

If I choose to continue my education at Berkeley (at the Journalism school, also North side), I'll definitely be taking classes at GSPP! It's my favorite graduate program at Cal, second to my own. ;)

Thanks everyone.

Green Diplomat - can you send over the GSPP employment stats when you receive them? That would be very helpful.

Ah decisions !

Regardless, I will be visiting all three schools. I am really hoping I will fall in love with one school while visiting :)

Thanks, Jae B. You're making me really excited to start at GSPP in the fall! Go Bears!!

Congratulations on such awesome acceptances!

As an undergraduate at Berkeley, I have to vouch for GSPP. I really admire the program; the faculty is amazing and the grad students (great GSIs! -- definitely TA to offset your costs) are top notch. Their research projects are really impressive, and I only wish I knew more. I've tried to spend as much time at the school as possible, and I know my policy-buff peers have, as well! The minor offered at the school is quite popular among us.

That said, the school is calm, quiet and welcoming. It has a great location on the campus' North side, the side grad students prefer because it's away from the undergraduate hubbub.

At least in the San Francisco Bay Area, GSPP is very highly regarded in terms of public policy analysis. I see the Dean, Henry Brady, on the news frequently, and Professor Robert Reich offers commentary often. In some ways, GSPP is the public face of UC Berkeley.

If I choose to continue my education at Berkeley (at the Journalism school, also North side), I'll definitely be taking classes at GSPP! It's my favorite graduate program at Cal, second to my own. ;)