Have any questions about the University of Michigan??

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

Hi all!

I just got back from a visit at the University of Michigan. If anyone has any questions pertaining to Ann Arbor, the University, or its biomedical department (or engineering in general), please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer based on all the info. I gained while I was there.

If I apply to the University of Michigan's Ph.D. program(Ph.D. without a Master) and get rejected, will I be considered as an applicant of Master's program automatically?

I have noticed that Ann Arbor encouraged undergraduate students to apply for the Ph.D. program directly.

But I am afraid I will lose the chance to be considered as an applicant of  Master's program.

2 hours ago, Ameliorate said:

will I be considered as an applicant of Master's program automatically?

Honestly, I am not sure. I don't think you will be, sadly. However, you never know. I suggest contacting the Graduate Program Director for Mechanical Engineering or someone in the engineering graduate admissions to get a better answer.

I think they encourage undergrads to apply directly to the PhD programs because you get a Master's in the process while gaining more research experience. That's just my thinking, though.

My son started his PhD in Aerospace Engineering in August at Michigan.  So far he loves his lab, fellow students, most of his (three) classes, and Ann Arbor.  He has been applying for fellowships (NASA, NSF, and DOD) and getting started on his research.  For AE master and PhD degree questions, check out the links on the New Graduate Student Orientation page.

Thank you for your reply. I have already asked the admission. They told me I do not need to fill out two separate applications.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:22 PM, Moods said:

Honestly, I am not sure. I don't think you will be, sadly. However, you never know. I suggest contacting the Graduate Program Director for Mechanical Engineering or someone in the engineering graduate admissions to get a better answer.

I think they encourage undergrads to apply directly to the PhD programs because you get a Master's in the process while gaining more research experience. That's just my thinking, though.

I only need to fill out the Ph.D. application. On one of the pages towards the end, it asks if I am not granted admission to the Ph.D. program, then would I like to be considered for Master's admission.

10 hours ago, Ameliorate said:

I only need to fill out the Ph.D. application. On one of the pages towards the end, it asks if I am not granted admission to the Ph.D. program, then would I like to be considered for Master's admission

Oh, that's great to hear! Good luck with your applications!