what exactly are they looking for in a Diversity Statement?

All the UCs are asking for a Personal History and Diversity Statement in addition to SOP.  Not sure what exactly they are looking for. I'm afraid that writing about my immigrant/minority story is going to be cliche. Do I need to be very specific on how I plan to contribute to the diversity of the student body? What do you guys write about?

That is your experience so I don't think it will be cliche. However it shouldn't be  your entire diversity statement (maybe a paragraph). I used my experience as the only person of my race(i was also one of 7 women), in my department (75ish students) to graduate with my degrees and discussed how I sometimes felt isolated but persevered. I also talked about how my experience shaped my interactions on my undergrad campus, led me to leadership positions, how they pushed me to volunteer in causes I cared about, and how they will continue to be a part of my grad school pursuits. All of your experiences help shape your identity and they will continue to be a part of your identity in grad school so you shouldn't be ashamed of them.

12 hours ago, pgt2018 said:

Do I need to be very specific on how I plan to contribute to the diversity of the student body? What do you guys write about?

I am actually in the process of writing my own diversity statements for applications (not for any of the UCs, but I am sure they are similar). I agree with what @Elephas said. I also asked this question on this website and someone gave me a good answer in my opinion. Here is the link to that conversation:

Good luck!