Social Psych Profile Evaluation

psycinfo

Hi All,

I have just taken the GRE for the second time but still feel that my scores aren't strong enough to get me through the first pass at the programs that I am applying to.

I am applying to a mix of schools, 4 SP, 1 IO, and 11 Organizational Behavior. I would like your thoughts/experiences on the strength of my profile (mainly concerned about GRE scores) for psych programs..

GRE Scores: 156V (72nd), 158Q (68th) AWA (waiting)

GRE: 3.87 from a large state school

Research Experience: I have 2 years of undergraduate RA experience in 3 different labs, I was a McNair Scholar where I conducted an undergraduate research project and thesis, I have two conference presentations, am going into my second year of being a Lab Manager, and will have a paper under review as first author at Psych Bull by the time I apply.

LOR: 2/3 are coming from people very well known in the field who have worked with many of the faculty I am applying to work with 

Psych Schools Applying To: Berkeley, Princeton, Rice, UVA, UIC 

Any thoughts or success stories of getting into any of these programs with my scores :)

Thank you!

I just wanted to add a piece of advice that I recently learned from my very intimidating PI. It is a faux pas to mention the name of the journal where your paper is under review because it has not yet been accepted. Essentially you are stealing credibility that has not yet been granted. Long story short, do not mention where your article is under review. 

11 minutes ago, sendmeadvice said:

I just wanted to add a piece of advice that I recently learned from my very intimidating PI. It is a faux pas to mention the name of the journal where your paper is under review because it has not yet been accepted. Essentially you are stealing credibility that has not yet been granted. Long story short, do not mention where your article is under review. 

This is so true!

I'd say it will also depend on fit (again, my credentials were less fancy than yours, but I got into a great great school, predominantly because of fit). With ur credentials, I'd assume it will boil down to that.

1 hour ago, sendmeadvice said:

This is great advice, thank you!!

1 hour ago, Psygeek said:

This is so true!

I'd say it will also depend on fit (again, my credentials were less fancy than yours, but I got into a great great school, predominantly because of fit). With ur credentials, I'd assume it will boil down to that.

This is encouraging! Would you mind sharing where you're at now and what your scores were?