Was this a rejection? Why meet again

Hi everyone, I met with a potential PhD supervisor last week but only briefly because he double booked. Good news is that he said he can supervise and wanted me to confirm another meeting (happening in a few days). 

So, I did as told and confirmed with him, and then he requested for some writing samples. No questions or anything....so far so good.

Now a few days later, I re-confirmed the next meeting with him, and his reply includes

"no question - i'm not double-booking u this time - in fact come 10 minutes early. i've also spoken to a newer colleague who may also have a space for supervision coming up. maybe check her profile since she too is a critical pedagogue (Freirean). so looking forward to seeing u (smiley face)".

Was that an indirect rejection or to give me more options in choosing a supervisor? ? Would I need to persuade him? His interests are more aligned with mine. 

2 hours ago, Psygeek said:

No.

It's good to work with multiple faculty (or in most departments it is). He's actually trying to get maybe more people on board for you..

Thank you for your insight. Do you mean as external examiner or something like that? Students are asked to find a supervisor before even applying. Does this mean he is asking me to talk to the other professor?

59 minutes ago, gradschoolprobs said:

Thank you for your insight. Do you mean as external examiner or something like that? Students are asked to find a supervisor before even applying. Does this mean he is asking me to talk to the other professor?

Maybe it depends on the area, but it is not uncommon for students to work with multiple people at a university. Additionally, he's not the only person on the ad comm - never harms to have more people getting to know you and be enthusiastic about you!

Edited by Psygeek

7 hours ago, Psygeek said:

Maybe it depends on the area, but it is not uncommon for students to work with multiple people at a university. Additionally, he's not the only person on the ad comm - never harms to have more people getting to know you and be enthusiastic about you!

Thank you so much! The worst case scenario I’m thinking is that he intoduces us and suggests that she supervises. How do I reject that? I’m ok with co-supervision (which does happen at the school now that I’ve checked) but definetey not if only with her due to different interests.

5 hours ago, gradschoolprobs said:

Thank you so much! The worst case scenario I’m thinking is that he intoduces us and suggests that she supervises. How do I reject that? I’m ok with co-supervision (which does happen at the school now that I’ve checked) but definetey not if only with her due to different interests.

I'd make it about research interests. Like oh that sounds like a wonderful topic, but I'm most interested in X and am not that much into Y.

5 hours ago, gradschoolprobs said:

I actually really don't think that's going to happen. I think he's really interested in working with you and is trying to get other relevant faculty also interested. Normally the suggestion is to have about 3 scholars at your program with similar interests- not to supervise you, but to guide you and eventually maybe serve on your committee. This is a really good sign for you.