Anyone considered applying to schools outside of the US? UK?

I'm planning to apply to a few schools in the UK (along with US schools) as I've found that the price is comparable and sometimes even less than out of state tuition costs in the US. It has been difficult trying to see where my stats compare, as I haven't been able to find something similar to ASHA EdFind for UK schools to compare program acceptance rates, numbers of applications etc. Going in completely blind is a bit daunting! Has anyone else considered applying to anywhere outside the US? 

I did my Masters program in the UK and was accepted to the PhD program there as well, in the school of divinity. From my experience there and the relationships I've built with some faculty members (some of whom were originally from the US), I was able to hear a bit of their insights on the UK system, so I might be able to provide some anecdotal help for you.

Are you applying for a Masters or PhD?

I’d speak to ASHA now regarding your ability to practice in the United States.  Most international programs would not meet American ASHA standards as they are not accredited by ASHA I think there is one school in Puerto Rico that is, but that’s obviously an American territory.  

If you plan on being an SLP in the US get your degree in the US.

There are people with masters degrees that work as SLPAs here bc that’s the only way they qualify.  I met a counselor who isn’t allowed to administer tests in the US despite being certified to work in England as a psychologist.

8 hours ago, CBG321 said:

I’d speak to ASHA now regarding your ability to practice in the United States.  Most international programs would not meet American ASHA standards as they are not accredited by ASHA I think there is one school in Puerto Rico that is, but that’s obviously an American territory.  

If you plan on being an SLP in the US get your degree in the US.

There are people with masters degrees that work as SLPAs here bc that’s the only way they qualify.  I met a counselor who isn’t allowed to administer tests in the US despite being certified to work in England as a psychologist.

According to the Mutual Recognition Agreement, speech pathologists from UK and several other countries can practice in USA. However, it may be a more complicated route to follow as you would still need ASHA accreditation if you choose to come back to USA. Your best option is to get qualified in the country where you intend to work but if you choose to go abroad, it is do-able. I have heard of students who have successfully done that.

Edited by Ecstatic!