The Netherlands: DUO-IB-Groep study grants

howdoiexitvim

Are you an EEA/EU/Swiss student? 

You only get this if you have a) lived in NL for at least 5 years, or b) work 56 hrs a month (good luck with ur education - and they will be strict with this), or c) your parent/partner works that nr of hours.

As for the tuition fee loan - the max you can get for that is the actual tuition of that year (I think its around 2000 euro per year, but I believe they're also gonna cut it in half for the first year of a bachelor, so it won't be much really). That for sure won't cover your expenses. As for the other loan - if you'd qualify - it's decent. 0% interest rate atm, the terms of paying back are decent, etc. They just won't give it out easily.

It also depends on the terms of the loan you can get in your own country. 

1 hour ago, Psygeek said:

Are you an EEA/EU/Swiss student? 

Yes, EU citizen.

b) work 56 hrs a month (good luck with ur education - and they will be strict with this), or c) your parent/partner works that nr of hours.

Yeah, that's strict ? I work ~70 hours a month parallel to my Bachelors, but it does affect my studies unfortunately, and I don't think I would be able to do the same during a Masters, in a country where I would have just moved to. Option (c) only applies to parents working in the NL, right?

As for the other loan - if you'd qualify - it's decent. 0% interest rate atm, the terms of paying back are decent, etc. They just won't give it out easily.

Yeah, those are vastly superior terms. Can't compare them to a private loan after all.

Edited by howdoiexitvim

4 hours ago, howdoiexitvim said:

Yes, EU citizen.

Yeah, that's strict ? I work ~70 hours a month parallel to my Bachelors, but it does affect my studies unfortunately, and I don't think I would be able to do the same during a Masters, in a country where I would have just moved to. Option (c) only applies to parents working in the NL, right?

Yeah, those are vastly superior terms. Can't compare them to a private loan after all.

As for c - yes that's in NL. It's also you need to find the job and have the contract to show you work that nr of hours (so a 0-hrs contract will not do; which most waitressing/supermarket/etc. jobs will give out) - not sure which city you plan on moving, but unless you speak Dutch this can also be a barrier.