Trying to Switch from PhD to PsyD

mhwang92

I am a PhD candidate in a human factors/industrial and organizational psychology program. Well after receiving my MS, I decided I actually would like to be a clinical psychologist. 

I am super worried about starting over again. I am all done with course works now. If anyone who's gone through this, please advise!

• 2 weeks later...

Do a respecialization program. Most fully-funded PhD programs will not accept you if you already have a PhD (they don't want to fund you again, lol). PsyDs might be more lenient, but respecialization will get you there faster.

https://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/respecialization.aspx

EDIT: WAIT sorry I screwed up. I thought you already had your PhD in I/O. If you only have an MS then you should apply to PhD programs the "usual" way and have a very clear reason for wanting to switch. Their primary worry will be, "Well, this girl started another PhD program and quit halfway through, so how can we trust that she won't pull the same thing on us?" Depending on your current program, it may be obvious or not whether you quit after masters, so they will definitely be wary. I would look into getting some clinical exp (volunteering, teching) so that you can testify to why you want to do clinical work. Find some way to link your current research to what you might want to research in a clinical psych program.

Edited by dancedementia

4 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Do a respecialization program. Most fully-funded PhD programs will not accept you if you already have a PhD (they don't want to fund you again, lol). PsyDs might be more lenient, but respecialization will get you there faster.

I think that link would prove helpful for some other individuals. To me, it sounds like the OP doesn't have a PHD in hand though. It sounds like she has just passed her qualifying exams because she refers to herself as a Ph.D. Candidate and not a Ph.D. Student.