How are multiple GRE evaluated?

Yiyu Liu

Hi guys at this moment I feel really freak out and appreciate any thoughts from you. I'm an international student and English is not my mother tongue. I already sent two GREs, as some schools said they'll pay special attention to the highest section when evaluating multiple GRE scores. 

I have a very weird situation. The first time for GRE I didn't prepare at all so I got 153 V 168Q 4.0AW. Then after half a year I took it again and made a great improvement on verbal, but I only got 3.5 AW given I really had nothing to say about politic issues. I remember the topic was about president. But in my country we are not ecouraged or allowed to talk too much about president. If you say sth. bad about president or relevant policy you'll probably go to jail. I just wasn't able to finish the issue part.So the second time I got 165 V 169Q 3.5AW. Thank god I'm not applying to clinical which is truly demanding on AW. I've noticed that the average AW score for my division usually lies right above 4.0 and Verbal around 158.

I know some schools will generally take the most recent score while others tend to combine the highest. I sent multiple GRE scores only because I got 4.0 on my first test. But 153 V (rank 59%) is truly awful. Either taking the most recent or combining the highest will not hurt my chance. But I'm really worried how they will see my Verbal score for the first time. Will they pay special attention to the lowest score? Will they take the average? How will they evaluate my improvement from 153 to 165? Will high Verbal and high quant somewhat compensate for my AW? I'm really worried that my GRE score will cut me off in the first round and my PI even won't have opportunity to see my app. 

Other information: 810 GRE psych, 28 out of 30 in the Toefl writing section, PS well written ( A prof. and a post doc helped me revise it, both of whom are native. After revising the Prof. said it was good enough ). All the programs I applied to don't require writing samples at all and I haven't got time to revise my manuscript. I submitted a poster as supplementary work for some of the programs.

I'm just worried I won't even make the first round because of my GRE.

2 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Hi guys at this moment I feel really freak out and appreciate any thoughts from you. I'm an international student and English is not my mother tongue. I already sent two GREs, as some schools said they'll pay special attention to the highest section when evaluating multiple GRE scores. 

I have a very weird situation. The first time for GRE I didn't prepare at all so I got 153 V 168Q 4.0AW. Then after half a year I took it again and made a great improvement on verbal, but I only got 3.5 AW given I really had nothing to say about politic issues. I remember the topic was about president. But in my country we are not ecouraged or allowed to talk too much about president. If you say sth. bad about president or relevant policy you'll probably go to jail. I just wasn't able to finish the issue part.So the second time I got 165 V 169Q 3.5AW. Thank god I'm not applying to clinical which is truly demanding on AW. I've noticed that the average AW score for my division usually lies right above 4.0 and Verbal around 158.

I know some schools will generally take the most recent score while others tend to combine the highest. I sent multiple GRE scores only because I got 4.0 on my first test. But 153 V (rank 59%) is truly awful. Either taking the most recent or combining the highest will not hurt my chance. But I'm really worried how they will see my Verbal score for the first time. Will they pay special attention to the lowest score? Will they take the average? How will they evaluate my improvement from 153 to 165? Will high Verbal and high quant somewhat compensate for my AW? I'm really worried that my GRE score will cut me off in the first round and my PI even won't have opportunity to see my app. 

Other information: 810 GRE psych, 28 out of 30 in the Toefl writing section, PS well written ( A prof. and a post doc helped me revise it, both of whom are native. After revising the Prof. said it was good enough ). All the programs I applied to don't require writing samples at all and I haven't got time to revise my manuscript. I submitted a poster as supplementary work for some of the programs.

I think it is a valid concern especially since you are an international student. To my knowledge, schools that accept multiple scores do not look at averages per se but look at it as a whole. Like I mentioned to you previously, there is a very high chance they'll discount your high verbal and quant scores, and focus on your AW since you're chinese (the stereotype that chinese are great at memorizing stuff). In fact, my biggest fear is that I've put my ethnicity as asian and my scores aren't great (aka subpar asian hahaha). Hopefully you've got some schools where the admissions committee and faculty are more open. I would strongly suggest submitting a writing sample if there is an option available. This'll prove to them that you can write well enough and can discuss your points logically. 

15 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Hi Liu, I think your V and Q scores are awesome! I have the same dilemma, but my scores are not as good as yours. I would recommend you call or email the grad admission office about your situation. I called one of my schools, the lady told me they discourage sending two scores, I should send the best one. 

On 11/16/2018 at 8:25 AM, loffire said:

I think it is a valid concern especially since you are an international student. To my knowledge, schools that accept multiple scores do not look at averages per se but look at it as a whole. Like I mentioned to you previously, there is a very high chance they'll discount your high verbal and quant scores, and focus on your AW since you're chinese (the stereotype that chinese are great at memorizing stuff). In fact, my biggest fear is that I've put my ethnicity as asian and my scores aren't great (aka subpar asian hahaha). Hopefully you've got some schools where the admissions committee and faculty are more open. I would strongly suggest submitting a writing sample if there is an option available. This'll prove to them that you can write well enough and can discuss your points logically. 

Thanks Loffire, I see your point. I wish I could submit a writing sample, but most of the DDL is 12.1, which is very close. I only have some unrevised manuscripts. I guess if they are not good enough, then it's best I don't submit it. The only revised work I could provide is a poster. Meanwhile, I've already asked a professor to revise my SOP, write a letter and submit if for all 14 schools. So I don't feel it is good to take his time to revise my writing sample, especially when it is not required. From my experience, professors usually don't expect a Chinese student, or a student whose mother tongue is not English to get 5 AW like native speakers. And it is unreasonable for them to expect so. If you don't have an education in US, then 4.0 will not hurt your chance at all as long as you are not applying to clinical branch. A common sense is that for international student a solid score would be 325+4. But I'm not sure about 3.5, while I know 3.5 is okay for neuroscience, I'm not sure about other branches. That's why I'm so concerned. Also, even the AW score is not my biggest concern. I'm more worried about how they will look at my verbal score (153, rank 59%) for the first time. I'm just afraid they will take an average on my first verbal score and the second. 

22 hours ago, SunnySet said:

Hi Liu, I think your V and Q scores are awesome! I have the same dilemma, but my scores are not as good as yours. I would recommend you call or email the grad admission office about your situation. I called one of my schools, the lady told me they discourage sending two scores, I should send the best one. 

Thanks SunnySet, I guess you're right, the best way would be just email or call the office, as different schools differ on how they will treat multiple GRE scores. I've seen a few schools indicated that they will take the highest from each section and other schools indicated they will take the most recent. There are also a few schools doesn't put these kind of information on their website. BTW, I think you have a really solid GRE score. As long as you are not applying to quant/math psychology you are fine. 

2 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Thanks SunnySet, I guess you're right, the best way would be just email or call the office, as different schools differ on how they will treat multiple GRE scores. I've seen a few schools indicated that they will take the highest from each section and other schools indicated they will take the most recent. There are also a few schools doesn't put these kind of information on their website. BTW, I think you have a really solid GRE score. As long as you are not applying to quant/math psychology you are fine. 

Hi Yiyu, I made a decision last night to send both scores to schools. I contacted two schools and they are okay with multiple scores and one school asked me to pick the highest one. However, you know it's hard to pick the highest one. All my school deadlines are on Dec. 1st, there is no way my official GRE scores will be received by school recipients before the deadline. So, I have to upload the unofficial GRE transcript (the PDF version from the ets website). That means the admission committee will likely to see all my previous scores because the online PDF transcript includes all the scores I got in the past. Therefore, for my peace of mind, I just send both official scores since the faculty will see all my scores anyway, and I believe they will pay attention all other scores you achieved and make a comprehensive evaluation. I don't think taking the average is reasonable, especially in Canadian universities where most profs don't place much emphasis on GRE scores. I think if you have both scores, the admission committee may see your good AWA in the first time and may not filter you out in the first round. Just my thought, but I think contact schools is a good idea to get more information. You could call as well, which will help you get your answers quickly.

At the best!

Your other scores are so high that I don't think it will matter! If it were me, I would just send the second scores and not worry about it. They'll get a sense for your writing in your personal statement, plus if you have any posters/publications/honors thesis type projects they'll know that you can write. Also, the difference between a 3.5 and a 4 isn't huge - I think it might be different if you got a 4 the first time and a 1 the second time or something like that. Best of luck!