How is my profile for econ phd?

standswithafist96

I have a low quant score despite being a math major and having done extensive rigorous math courses. I got test anxiety and messed it up. 

Gre : 153 quant, 152 verbal

Majors: doing double major in economics and math 

Cgpa: 3.49 (im in my 7th semester so this gpa is uptil 6th sem.)also note that this program is the toughest in my university and grading is stringent

Two research internships, 1 volunteer internship

Toefl: 112

Have written several papers for university group projects. 

Also i most of my econ and math courses are graduate level courses and i did well in them. 

Keeping my crappy gre score in mind can i get into a top 50 university for phd econ? Or around 50 to 60 ranking? 

I want to apply to a few ambitious schools and not just safe ones. 

If you want a shot a pretty much any Econ PhD, you need at least a 160. The top 30 or so "require" 90th percentile which is 165/166. It is imperative that you retake the GRE if you are serious about this. And study for it. Being a math major doesn't help much for the math on the GRE, other than having a proclivity for calculation.

what about universities from 40- 100? in the universities ranked near 100 they say they can take in lower quant scores. also there's no where mentioned that they have minimum quant cutoffs. some universities do but mostly say we look at your application holistically. i know i can't do well in a retake i studied alot for this. 

I don't mean to discourage your passion for economics, but if scoring in the 61st percentile in basic math is the best you think you can do, how well do you think you will fare in your first-year classes?

I understand that we're all stressing about get that one magical acceptance, but we cannot lose sight of what comes afterward; grad school is HARD. It will likely be significantly harder than any schooling you have ever done. Just keep that in mind.

That said, I'm sure it's possible to get accepted to a PhD program if you scrape the bottom of the barrel. Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Edited by Bird Vision
Sentence fragment

• 1 month later...