CSULB MSW 2019

Bevster

On 12/23/2018 at 11:38 PM, reb123 said:

Do they review the applications on a rolling basis?

On 12/24/2018 at 11:49 AM, MSWblessing said:

Yes, they do so it’s important to turn it in early.

I'm starting to think they don't. I turned in my application very early and still haven't heard from them yet. Some people that applied way after me have been accepted. 

5 hours ago, MSWblessing said:

Have you checked your status on the self service student portal?

Yes, every day. It still says ''Your application has been reviewed and has been forwarded to the academic department for their review.....''

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I’m Marisela and I applied for the 3-year MSW program at CSULB. I live all the way in Indianapolis, IN, and sent my application on the 22nd of December but it was not received until yesterday the 2nd of Jan. I could have paid $90 to send it overnight... but I figured it was pointless since they would no reopen until the 2nd.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, it's really interesting to read about everyone's different stories. It's nice to know there are people that are just as nervous/excited as I am to get into CSULB for their MSW program. Does anyone have any experience with the distance education programs? I found out about this program a bit late and sent my application 1-8-2019, so we'll see what happens! Best of luck!

Edited by MSWMiguel

20 hours ago, reb123 said:

I got an email from them saying they received my application. I'm not sure if they meant the CalStateApply or supplemental application or both? 

So the emails will look different, one is from the chhs- msw email and one will from es-admissions! You should be receiving emails from both!

7 hours ago, MSWMiguel said:

Hey everyone, it's really interesting to read about everyone's different stories. It's nice to know there are people that are just as nervous/excited as I am to get into CSULB for their MSW program. Does anyone have any experience with the distance education programs? I found out about this program a bit late and sent my application 1-8-2019, so we'll see what happens! Best of luck!

I ws interested in the distance education program, that was until I learned you have to actually go to the chosen location every saturday and work in the computer there. I applied for the 3 year program, which one did you?

Ohh, got it. Yeah I applied to the 3 year distance edu program. It's within a 1 mile radius of my current employer, as well as home. It seemed like the perfect program model, so I just went for it. I wish I had known earlier so I could have submitted the application sooner! 

37 minutes ago, MSWMiguel said:

Ohh, got it. Yeah I applied to the 3 year distance edu program. It's within a 1 mile radius of my current employer, as well as home. It seemed like the perfect program model, so I just went for it. I wish I had known earlier so I could have submitted the application sooner! 

Keep posted as soon as you get some news ?! I’m all the way in Indiana and all the staff at CSULB have been extremely helpful, but I honestly have a feeling I won’t get in! More specifically because I submitted my app in January. They do rolling admissions, I was informed that one could be a perfect candidate but if they are full you are out :(! Do you want to share some of your background... if you are comfortable. I can share mines :)!

2 hours ago, marilu91 said:

Keep posted as soon as you get some news ?! I’m all the way in Indiana and all the staff at CSULB have been extremely helpful, but I honestly have a feeling I won’t get in! More specifically because I submitted my app in January. They do rolling admissions, I was informed that one could be a perfect candidate but if they are full you are out :(! Do you want to share some of your background... if you are comfortable. I can share mines :)!

Will do! I've been feeling a bit anxious and similar because I submitted in Jan. as well. But I'm trying to keep my spirits up! I called before I submitted and they stated there were still slots and to send the application, so I'm gonna hope for the best. A little background: 24 years old, living in Northern Ca. I have quite a bit of experience working with children and adults with varying developmental diagnoses. I have kind of made this population my focus. I'm super passionate about working with children and families, particularly within the special needs community. I graduated with a BA in early childhood studies (3.49 overall 3.97 within major, with distinction). I have worked in different programs assisting individuals with varying diagnoses, group homes , ABA, you name it, and I've likely done it. I have also worked with plenty adults with developmental diagnoses as well. I am currently a case managers for adults with developmental diagnoses at one of the states 21 regional centers. I manage a caseload of about 77 individuals and assist them with multiple different aspects of their lives, ranging from finding housing, day programs, assisted living, theres really too much to even describe. Basically we assist in empowering them so they can lieqd lives as independently as possible. I want to be a social worker because I spent some time in foster care as a child and really attribute my success to my early childhood years in which I recieved services. I basically want to work with families who have children that have developmental disabilities and assist them in helping their child develop as optimally as possible so they can have some way out of poverty and the many challenges that often accompany it. Theres quite a bit I left out, but that is the gist! How about you @marilu91

13 hours ago, MSWMiguel said:

Will do! I've been feeling a bit anxious and similar because I submitted in Jan. as well. But I'm trying to keep my spirits up! I called before I submitted and they stated there were still slots and to send the application, so I'm gonna hope for the best. A little background: 24 years old, living in Northern Ca. I have quite a bit of experience working with children and adults with varying developmental diagnoses. I have kind of made this population my focus. I'm super passionate about working with children and families, particularly within the special needs community. I graduated with a BA in early childhood studies (3.49 overall 3.97 within major, with distinction). I have worked in different programs assisting individuals with varying diagnoses, group homes , ABA, you name it, and I've likely done it. I have also worked with plenty adults with developmental diagnoses as well. I am currently a case managers for adults with developmental diagnoses at one of the states 21 regional centers. I manage a caseload of about 77 individuals and assist them with multiple different aspects of their lives, ranging from finding housing, day programs, assisted living, theres really too much to even describe. Basically we assist in empowering them so they can lieqd lives as independently as possible. I want to be a social worker because I spent some time in foster care as a child and really attribute my success to my early childhood years in which I recieved services. I basically want to work with families who have children that have developmental disabilities and assist them in helping their child develop as optimally as possible so they can have some way out of poverty and the many challenges that often accompany it. Theres quite a bit I left out, but that is the gist! How about you @marilu91

What you do is amazing, and for you to overcome a difficult childhood and decide to pursue a career that gives back to the community is even more amazing! Watch… I know you are going to get in!

I did things a bit backwards and I’m super old lol! I’m almost 28! I live in Indianapolis, IN but was born and raised in Long Beach, CA. When I turned 15, my parents had the great idea of moving to Indiana (rolling my eyes right now...)!!! In the midst of everything, they ended up moving back to California August 2017, I have a feeling it was a plan to get rid of me lol! I got married young and became a mom at the age of 19, all this unfortunately put my education on hold! 

I obtained my associates degree in paralegal studies in December 2013 and was given the opportunity to start working as a bailiff for the Marion County Superior Courts February 2014. Fast forward to now, I am currently working as a victim advocate for the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office-Juvenile Division in Indianapolis, IN. As a victim advocate, I work with the families of the deceased victims on homicide cases, and with children who are victims of domestic violence and or child sexual abuse. Not only am I working full time, but in 2017 I made the decision to go back to school and started a full time online program to finally finish up my bachelors. I will be graduating in May! I have additional experience working in a domestic violence shelter called the Julian Center and I also currently volunteer for the YouniqueFoundation which is an organization that provides resources for women who have experienced child sexual abuse in their past. I’ve taken various trainings that revolve around the topic of child sexual abuse.

My cumulative GPA is a 3.0, but in my upper division courses my GPA is a 3.5. I’m hoping to become a social worker in a middle school, in my opinion, middle school is probably the hardest time in a child’s life! I eventually want to become a trauma and ptsd therapist, and open up an organization that provides counseling services to victims of crimes.

31 minutes ago, marilu91 said:

What you do is amazing, and for you to overcome a difficult childhood and decide to pursue a career that gives back to the community is even more amazing! Watch… I know you are going to get in!

I did things a bit backwards and I’m super old lol! I’m almost 28! I live in Indianapolis, IN but was born and raised in Long Beach, CA. When I turned 15, my parents had the great idea of moving to Indiana (rolling my eyes right now...)!!! In the midst of everything, they ended up moving back to California August 2017, I have a feeling it was a plan to get rid of me lol! I got married young and became a mom at the age of 19, all this unfortunately put my education on hold! 

I obtained my associates degree in paralegal studies in December 2013 and was given the opportunity to start working as a bailiff for the Marion County Superior Courts February 2014. Fast forward to now, I am currently working as a victim advocate for the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office-Juvenile Division in Indianapolis, IN. As a victim advocate, I work with the families of the deceased victims on homicide cases, and with children who are victims of domestic violence and or child sexual abuse. Not only am I working full time, but in 2017 I made the decision to go back to school and started a full time online program to finally finish up my bachelors. I will be graduating in May! I have additional experience working in a domestic violence shelter called the Julian Center and I also currently volunteer for the YouniqueFoundation which is an organization that provides resources for women who have experienced child sexual abuse in their past. I’ve taken various trainings that revolve around the topic of child sexual abuse.

My cumulative GPA is a 3.0, but in my upper division courses my GPA is a 3.5. I’m hoping to become a social worker in a middle school, in my opinion, middle school is probably the hardest time in a child’s life! I eventually want to become a trauma and ptsd therapist, and open up an organization that provides counseling services to victims of crimes.

Wow! That's very impressive and let me tell you, 28 is not old! Most of my friends are around that age. You do some heavy work. Definitely not easy and I'm sure that the families you work with appreciate you more than you could ever know. Wow! I hope you are able to get in and pursue that career. I think your right about middle school being such an important time of your adolescence. It was definitely for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, tnguyen said:

Hi All! 

I applied for CSU LB on 12/20 and was accepted today 1/28 via email from the school of social work! I hope you all hear back from them soon. Goodluck everyone!

Congrats! Which program did you apply to? Also, do you remember when your application was sent to the department for review? A month after was a quick response, ! I applied on the 2nd of January.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:33 PM, marilu91 said:

Congrats! Which program did you apply to? Also, do you remember when your application was sent to the department for review? A month after was a quick response, ! I applied on the 2nd of January.

Hi! I applied to the Integrated Health Concentration and the two year track. They forwarded my application on January 14th. I hope you hear back soon!

I applied for CSU LB on 12/20 and was accepted today 1/28 via email from the school of social work! I hope you all hear back from them soon. Goodluck everyone!

Hello everyone I am new to the chat! 

I was accepted to CSULB 2/2 and submitted my application 11/18. I believe it was sent to the department mid December. 

This was my third time applying to CSULB, once out of high school, once to transfer, but I was finally accepted for their MSW! 

Good luck to everyone waiting for responses! I am sending you all positive thoughts. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 12:32 AM, Dee03 said:

Hello again!

I applied to CSULB on 11/26 and just yesterday 1/26 I logged in the applicant self service system and found out I was accepted and offered admission! I am so happy and excited to start this new journey! 

Goodluck to everyone else!

Congratulations!!!!

I logged into the self service applicant and it says it will send an email in a few minutes, but it never does. 

Hello ? 

I turned in my application in person on 01/11/2019. 

I received an email on 02/22/2019 stating “we have forwarded your application to the graduate department of your intended program for a final review.” 

I log into the “applicant self service”, my information is found, and they say I will get an email with updated information, but I do not receive anything. 

Anyone going through the same thing?

On 1/16/2019 at 7:12 PM, charliebrown22 said:

I got an email from them saying they received my application. I'm not sure if they meant the CalStateApply or supplemental application or both? 

Hello,

I am on the same exact boat. Have you heard anything yet? 

Edited by MissB07