PhD/DFA in Studio Art

Nico Lin

Interested in applying for a PhD or DFA in Studio Art, but I am struggling finding programs. I plan to apply with the start date of Fall 2020 so I have a bit of time yet. So far the few programs I have found (in North America at least) in visual arts are more art history/art education versus the studio art/art practice aspect that I am wanting. Any insights? It doesn't matter to me which country.

• 3 weeks later...

As far I understood, an MFA in visual arts is a "terminal degree" meaning the highest level.

From study.com:

"There is no Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Studio Art, but there is a PhD in Art History. For people passionate about art, a doctoral program in art history can lead to research and teaching in schools and art studios."

If you are doing an MA in Anthropology now but are interested in studio arts, you could get your second master's as an MFA.

eauclare is correct, the MFA is the terminal degree in Studio Art, although a few schools have tried to introduce a PhD without much success.  The DFA is an honorary degree, not a real degree.  Check the art faculty at your current institution and you will see they all have MFAs unless they got a PhD in another field.

I have found a few PhD programs in Art Practice that have a Studio component such as UC San Diego & UC Irvine’s Visual Studies Programs. DFAs are more honorary but I also found quite a few programs in the UK with PhDs in Studio. In the US it is so rare and hard to come by. If anyone’s heard of any let me know!